Forum rules - please read before posting.

Journal System Confusion

edited November 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hello! 

I can't figure out how to work the journal system for the life of me. Ideally, I'd like to have a menu item that allows me to view dated journal entries. As the player progresses, more journal entries will be added to the list. Fairly simple in theory.

So far, I'm able to create the button to go into the journal, but for some reason can't seem to figure out past that. I've included an image of my Game Editor. I hope someone can help.

Comments

• At the moment, you've got 2 pages to begin with - you can see this from the Number of starting pages field in the Journal's list of properties.  Set this number to be the number of pages you want the journal to have when the game begins.

If it's more than zero, you can then use the Preview page slider to select the different starting pages, and edit their text beneath.  In your screenshot, your first page has the text "This is entry 1 page 1".

To add pages in-game, use the Menu: Change state Action and choose Add Journal Page.

When the journal is displayed in-game, it will show one page at a time.  To let the player change which page is displayed, you'll need to make two Buttons on the same menu (for the left/right page turners).  Set their Click type to Offset Journal, and fill in the boxes that appear beneath.
  • Awesome! Thank you so much! This really helped me understand how the journal was created. I was thinking it would be so much more complex. :D

You're the best Chris!