Forum rules - please read before posting.

Navmesh movement - Spinning around

edited November 2014 in Engine development
Hi there,

I have an unusual problem when using the Navmesh point and click movement method in my 3D game.

On occasion my main player character will spin on the spot seemingly confused where to go. 

I don't have any particularly difficult to navigate scenery and have demo'd the strange behaviour in a scene with just a plane and a cube plus my character.

Is this a known thing and is there something I can do about it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Look in your SETTINGS manager. Someway down in the panel there is an option in Movement Settings for Destination Accuracy.

Setting it lower and it might stop this problem.
  • This seems to have worked! 

I set the destination accuracy to zero and so far haven't encountered any spinning.

• Glad to hear but I'm not sure having at 0 will be the best approach. I don't know (Chris will of course) if there's anywhere in the code which multiplies or divides by that value. Either way you would at least want it to be more than 0.

Had you not tried something in between like 0.8?
  • Nope, I just went for zero, I've tried different values in the past but still have the same problem. After you pointed me to the slider in question I just parked it at zero and I've not issues since.

Tested in the editor and on iOS (iPhone 6).

Not sure if there is a weird bug on using an accuracy float but zero divided by zero is alway going to be zero.
  • FYI I'm also using double tap to move option - if that makes a difference?

• I would set it to something as very small, rather than zero.  Double-tap to move won't make a difference, but the accuracy setting is linked to speed: if the character is running, the accuracy will be "looser", to account for the higher movement speed.