Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Solved] Renaming an NPC on-the-fly

edited November 2014 in Technical Q&A
I want my NPC character to introduce themselves before their name appears in their speech-box. For example, their speech to be attributed to, say,"Man" instead of their name. Then, once they've said their name switch to using their name.

I've considered just having 2 copies of their NPC prefab one with each 'name' but this seems like a bit of a long-way-round, plus I'm not certain I can easily run the swap in the middle of a conversation.

I'm considering making it possibly easier by forcing the conversation to be less interactive and simply having the mystery character introduce themselves entirely in a cut-scene after which the player will know their name.  However, I wonder if there is a fairly simple method to achieving it more interactively (say where the player might ask something ELSE before their name, given the option).

I guess this might be a feature request, or down to a custom action, because there isn't an Object:Send message "rename" to apply to a character.

Comments

• There's a Character:Rename action, that might work?

• Totally missed that!
  • edited November 2014
    Wait. I missed it because it doesn't appear in my Character action options.

Why do you have it but I don't? The script "ActionCharRename" is present in the Scripts>Actions folder along with all the rest.

I'm using 2D game-type but I don't think that would matter.

:-/
  • Ah! For some reason my Actions Manager needed refreshing.

I had never done that since making the project months ago. I suppose the character:rename action was added after and therefore needed me to manually refresh?

Anyway, that works. So for logic events/actions (my NPC is a prefab) I assume I can just use the original prefab name/label to identify which character is being "actioned"