Forum rules - please read before posting.

Suggestion: New Default Action (hint: Make it "Dialogue: Player Line")

edited October 2014 in Engine development
In my ongoing crusade to reduce the clicks it takes to do stuff with AC (or to make Chris do it ;) ) I have another suggestion to make:

When you create a new default action, either by creating a new interaction or by clicking new action in the inspector or by dragging out an out node of a node in the action list graph, the action that gets created is Camera/CrossFade.

Now this is not a very commonly used action I don't think. Certainly not as commonly used as Dialogue/Player Line. The amount of times I've done "Create New Action -> Change Action Type -> Dialogue -> Tick Player Line" must rack into the hours by this point. And while it might sound like a nitpicky request all these things mount up.

I am guessing that the camera action comes up first due to alphabetical sorting, but I think usage based sorting or even something like "what action did you create last" would make a lot more sense.

Thankfully usually I copy a speech/player line action always in my clipboard and just keep pasting that in, but sometimes I'll forget and I'll intuitively try to create a new action and then I have to go "oh no, wait...delete, paste...there" (as even doing that takes less time than changing the action type and setting up its parameters)

So...yeah... Dialogue/Player Line for the default newly created action I say! :)

Comments

• Aha, but your most commonly used action isn't the same for everyone.

Perhaps a selectable 'default starting action' somewhere in a manager window could help instead?
  • Sure thing that's even better. I'd be surprised though if that wasn't statistically the most commonly used action? I guess maybe in games like Machinarium where there's no dialogue/player dialogue. But I'd be surprised if those skewed the stats that much? What's your most commonly used action Xidore?
  • I think what you're asking for already exists - if you go into the AC Actions manager, there is a dropdown there to select which action is the default when you create a new interaction. I have mine set to Dialogue: Play Speech too :) Hope that helps!
  • As @hedgefield says: you can change the default Action in the Actions Manager.
  • Ah of course it exists already... Should have RTFM :)

Awesome stuff, cheers guys! Another massive time saver.
  • Hah, Facepalm, I didn't even look myself.
    @oxyscythe my game is heavily "cinematic" so probably switch camera (at the moment).