Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mobile adjustments

edited April 2014 in Engine development
Hi once again.

Im developing my project both for pc and android at the same time. I found several problems which i hope are just some small mistakes.
Im using android tablet for this:

1) When playing game, if i want to press menu items such as "menu button" on top left, I clicks through the button and though the menu appears, my character starts moving to the direction of the button. So in a way,  buttons are click through for some reason.

2) I've implemented the "http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/adventure-creator/tutorials/letting-player-enter-their-name" feature to my menu. But when i play it on android and click on the box, no keyboard appears. What might be the reason for this?

Even on pc, the input box doesnt feel selected even though its selected. Is there a way to add "blinking line" just like any other text input box would show on idle?

3) I got menus on the left and right screen of the game. Rather than pressing a button to open them, would it be possible to use swipe finger to show these panels? OR Is there any document i can read in order to implement this element to the game through Unity?

4) There is a flicker (some sort) when graphics are called in to screen. Like, if i click on the inventory button and if inventory button has a background, it quickly flashes before the screen than appear with whatever (fade, pan etc) effect it was given to. This only happens once for the first time they are called. Is there a way to over comethis? a preload perhaps?

5) On mobile platform, while changing scenes, it takes around 2 to 4 seconds to load all the while the player stares at the black screen. Is there a way to create a loading page between screens? And also any tip on how to drop these times between scenes without degrading the graphic quality?

Thank you once again

Comments

• 1) I believe this is because the finger position is registered as too close to the button's edge.  Try expanding the menu's border, so that while the button's size remains the same, the menu itself covers a slightly larger area.  This may eliminate the problem.

2) Input boxes are not yet supported on android/iOS.  Look out for it in a future release.  The text cursor, while non-blinking, was added in 1.30 - are you up to date on your AC version?

3) Gesture support is not currently a feature, but if you fancy a go at scripting it yourself, you can use the following line of code to open a menu by name, e.g.:

PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("Sidebar menu").TurnOn (true);

4) Fixed for 1.32

5) Users more familiar with mobile development will be able to answer this better than I, as I imagine this is more of a general question about Unity, when it comes to graphical "efficiency".  For a loading screen, you could consider having an "interim" scene that is loaded before immediately loading the "true" scene.  Setting/Checking a variable, and using the Engine: Check previous scene Action in an OnStart Cutscene can help you load the true scene from the interim.
  • Hey Chris

There is a new problem i think is a bug. I'm using 1.31.

6) If you click rapidly around an area (especially if you click circle around the character), the character seem to stand still while sliding around this area.

Even if you manage to trigger walking animation, due to rapid clicking, the character would moon walk to go to the next area.
  • What are your Interface settings in the Settings Manager like?  You can adjust the minimum delay between clicks inside the PlayerInput.cs script - the clickDelay float.  I'll expose this as public in 1.32.
  • edited May 2014
    Chris
    1) I believe this is because
    the finger position is registered as too close to the button's edge.
     Try expanding the menu's border, so that while the button's size
    remains the same, the menu itself covers a slightly larger area.  This
    may eliminate the problem.

So i've checked again, the menu buttons are big (with borders and all) but still if you click on the buttons, it still clicks through the button. (I can provide the apk file to show you what i mean)

Also it takes double tap to press a button. And the first tap moves the character, the second tap presses the button.

By the way, my menus are not "pause game when its open" checked.
  • Have you set your input to "Touch Screen"?
  • Yes, whenever i export to android, i first switch input to touch screen and later switch my platform to android.

I can provide apk if you want to check this,

Thanks
  • Is this a bug when in the editor, or purely when testing on the Android device?
  • edited May 2014
    Purely when checking on android. I did not notice this in editor.
  • Hey Chris.

Here is the APK file if you want to check out what im talking about.

http://goo.gl/rmOIQe

Im currently thinking that this was not due to button size. It has something to do with first click (which ever menu button you click to just makes character move. The second time click makes the menu buttons pressed. Is there some sort of count being happening in Mobile devices?

The only exclutsion is the inventory menus. IF you click in the inventory menu and anypart in it, the character wont move.

Ps: PlayerInput.cs script - the clickDelay float worked like a charm. Thank you very much.
  • Thanks, this has been reported before but I thought the size fix was enough to solve it.

I'll actually need a bit more than this to look at it properly.  Could you post your Managers as well?
  • edited May 2014
    I certainly shall

http://goo.gl/CnfrPw Here ya go. I only zipped Managers there. If needed i can roundup the rest

Ps: This zip contains the managers for web build. So input type is not set as touchscreen but as i've mentioned before, i do build my android exports with touch screen input
  • Thanks, I'll let you know if I need more.
  • edited May 2014
    Hey Chris.

You did mention in 1.32 "Added: Keyboard pop-up when using Input boxes on iOS and Android devices". I've just recently updated my project to 1.33b. In this version, i still cannot seem to make keyboard appear at my andorid device.

Is there something else i should have done in order to call for keyboard?  The managers are same as i've uploaded so you can check yourself too.
  • edited May 2014
    Another thing. As i've updated the script, the moonwalk effect came back but its due to fact the playerInput script is also upgraded i suppose.

Would it be too much to ask if these values can be added into the game files so they wont be overwritten everytime its updated?

Edit: I tried to fix it again by giving the values i gave before. But it doesnt seem to work anymore.

public float clickDelay = 1.9f;

This value worked for me previously. Now i can moonwalk the character animation again
  • What do you mean by "moonwalking"?
  • edited May 2014
    " What do you mean by "moonwalking"? "
    It was this
    "6) If you click rapidly around an area (especially if you click circle around the character), the character seem to stand still while sliding around this area.

Even if you manage to trigger walking animation, due to rapid clicking, the character would moon walk to go to the next area
    "
    And it was fixed by this
    "You can adjust the minimum delay between clicks inside the PlayerInput.cs
    script - the clickDelay float.  I'll expose this as public in 1.32
    "

But now, after changing it back to 1.33b the problem came back.

I feel as if im confusing you, if so i can provide a short list of current problems in this tread.
    1. Menu Buttons are click through on android mobile devices. It takes double tap to activate the menu buttons. The first tap causes the character to move to the location of the menu. (*This is really important and effects the UX alot )

2. With 1.32 keyboard feature was added. How ever i cannot seem to call to this keyboard. (please check with the managers i've provided)

3. Fast tapping around character causes the animations to fall behind the positions. Causing the Moonwalk effect in which charater sprite appears to walk forward while character moves back. (This was fixed with public float clickDelay = 1.9f; value however upon updating to 1.33b the values seem not to work anymore.)
    So this is it in general. Thank you.
    I'm using Galaxy Tab 3 from samsung (just in case if you need to know)

• About  Mobile Menu Buttons Problem:

Ok i've checked the menus and understand your confusion
    now. My Menus Appear type are set to Manual. If they are set to Appear
    Type: During Game play,  This problem vanishes. However this causes
    another problem that once any menu icon is clicked, the other menu
    buttons vanishes and comes back (changing the Transition type to none
    did not help). Also I cannot hide menu buttons like in this tutorial "
    http://www.iceboxstudios.co.uk/adventure-creator/tutorials/creating-title-screen-menu"
    for my intro screen.

So in short, Is there a way to apply "AppearType: During Gameplay's" responsiveness to the "AppearType:Manual" .

Edit 2:

So I've gone to PlayerMenus.cs and played around. Basicly changed AppearType.Manual's code (which is below)

if (menu.appearType == AppearType.Manual)

{

if (menu.IsVisible () && !menu.isLocked && menu.GetRect
    ().Contains (playerInput.invertedMouse))

{

playerInput.mouseOverMenu = true;

}
                                  }
    To this.

if (menu.appearType == AppearType.Manual)
                                    {
                                        if (menu.IsVisible () && !menu.isLocked)
                                        {
                                            menu.TurnOn (true);

if (menu.GetRect ().Contains (playerInput.invertedMouse))
                                            {
                                                playerInput.mouseOverMenu = true;
                                            }
                                        }

This
    change helped with menu buttons not functioning in the first click and
    also when clicked on, the character moved to the buttons locations. Now
    both of those problems are solved.

Now, there is two small problem.
    1. Crossfades do not work so every menu option have to be called with MenuAction scripts.
    2. When in Pause menu, up on entering any option and coming back to Pause menu causes Save option to be hidden for some reason. I did not make any changes on that so im curious to know why that might be.

• OK, lot going on here.  The code change you made shouldn't be such - it may fix the problem (and thanks for figuring out for me the source of it) but causes the Menu to behave incorrectly, hence your further issues.  I will look into it properly.

The keyboard feature seems to only be functioning for "Mouse and Keyboard" input mode only, which is an oversight on my part.  Will be fixed for 1.34.

The fast tapping character bug might actually be caused by another issue.  If your Character has no "run" animations you get strange errors when double clicking/tapping around him - the "walk" animation will play instead.  If you have no need for running, use the Player: Constrain Action to make him "Walk only".  Could you let me know if this was the cause?
  • Hey Chris.

Yes I would rather let you deal with it properly :) Otherwise i will have to make the same changes again every time the AC is updated.

Ok currently except of keyboard feature, all my problems seem to be fixed (will be fixed in 1.34). So thanks alot in advance