Forum rules - please read before posting.

Version 1.31 - Custom options, and drag n' drop

edited April 2014 in Official news

Another update so soon?  While I prefer to have larger updates spaced farther apart, 1.30 introduced a few errors so I thought it best to go on a bug hunt.

Only a few new features of note, this time:

Custom options

This is the "true" reason for adding a Link parameter to Variables - now you can Link a Variable to Options Data.  Essentially this means it's value will be stored in the PlayerPrefs along with the standard options, and not in save game files.  PlayerPrefs are loaded whenever a game begins, meaning the values are save game-independent - if it's changed in one save game, it'll be felt by all.  Additionally, the Slider, Cycle and Toggle menu elements have been upgraded to let you display/change a variable's value (whether it's Option Data or not), making it much easier to make custom menu switches etc.

Drag and drop inventory items

Nothing really needed to know about this - just check the box in the Settings Manager (so long as your game's settings support regular item selection, of course) and you'll be able to drag items onto themselves and Hotspots with a single mouse-click.  You can also choose to examine an item by dropping it onto itself (Broken Age-style)

Upgrade notes:

• Options data may need to be cleared before scenes can be run - please click "Reset options data" in the Settings Manager

Full changelog:

• Added: Ability to link Variables to Cycle, Toggle and Slider Menu Elements
  • Added: Ability to link Variables to Options: this causes a Variable's value to be stored in PlayerPrefs, not saved game files
  • Added: Ability to manually define string array in Cycle Menu Element
  • Added: "Drag and drop" mode for Inventory Items - set in Settings Manger under "Inventory settings"
  • Added: A Player prefab is now no longer required for AC scenes to run
  • Added: New Movement method: None - useful for "storybook" games or those without a Player character
  • Added: Ability to display an icon/texture at the centre of a Hotspot - set in Settings Manager
  • Added: "Auto-create" buttons to remaining "Scene settings" fields in Scene Manager
  • Added: New Game Wizard now creates a Manager Package asset, to bulk-assign Managers in one go
  • Added: Initial Variable values are shown in Variables Manager list
  • Added: Option to set TextMesh labels automatically when using MenuLink script to link to Menu Elements
  • Added: "Pause until finish" with Camera: Switch now waits for an Animated GameCamera to complete its animation
  • Fixed: Object: Transform Action not performing absolute transformations when skipped
  • Fixed: ActionLists not looping properly
  • Fixed: Formulas with Variable tokens only working correctly for the first time
  • Fixed: Menu Labels of type "Dialogue Portrait" not displaying background texture in-game
  • Fixed: Player sprites sometimes having the incorrect sorting order after changing scenes
  • Fixed: Build issues with Windows Phone 8 devices

As always, please back up your project files before upgrading!

Comments

• Great Chris, thank's for the quick fix and the new options. 
    Can't wait to try it!

:D
  • Very nice Chris. I think there should be a very clear way for AC to "talk" (read write to variables in code) to the code made in Unity this will make AC "big", my advice work on that
  • edited April 2014
    @Antonis, we have the Object: Send Message action if we need to call custom code.
  • @Guran Evere tried it ? just to get a variable from AC to the code of Unity you'll need all this : GameObject.FindWithTag (Tags.persistentEngine).GetComponent <RuntimeVariables>().GetVarValue (2);
  • This tool gets better and better every time! Thanks alot Chris
  • @Antonis: Do you mean a simpler line than the one you stated?  Perhaps some static functions, e.g. RuntimeVariables.GetVarValue (2); would be better.  Is this what you're getting at?
  • edited April 2014
    I am in no way a great programmer and I am new to Unity. I understand you have build a framework for AC to work @ChrisIceBox. What you suggest look simpler yes :) I was just pointing to @Guran that "things" are not as simple as he suggests.

If RuntimeVariables.GetVarValue (2); has to be there instead of var = 5; then I can live with that :)