Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D Regular view vs Top Down view?

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hello!

So it seems like @ChrisIceBox seems to be preferring Top Down view for 2D games in AC by default, as seem by some of the new tutorials.
We were wondering, are there any pro and cons we should be aware of with each view?
We do find navmesh more intuitive in Top Down view, but were wondering if the lack with Unity 2D compatibility is something we should be worried about?
What about lighting? Do you guys it would work better with one than the other?

Thank You!

Comments

• Back again. We're now trying a third option.
    We're setting up the navmeshes using the 3D space instead of using sorting layers, using a perspective camera, and it seems to be running OK. 
    Any reason why this is not suggested?
  • It's a rather complicated way of going about it - it was actually my first suggestion for 2D workflow, but when people asked for a purely 2D workflow I created the Sorting Map prefab.  Does this mean you're using Screen Space or World Space for your game's Moving And Turning setting?  Ideally I would indeed like to get a "Unity 2D" mode for making 2D games, but I wonder if yet another way of working would make things even more confusing.  Thoughts?
  • Screen Space. Why do you find it more complicated? We found it's rather intuitive to actually see the distance/separation between geometry in our scene, and perspective makes sense. 
    It's a matter of taste I suppose?

• Personally, the 2D incorporation seems like a bit of an afterthought and could definitely use some elaboration/refinement. I bought AC for making a 2D game and am wondering if it was a bit premature, as it seems more convoluted to make a 2D game than a 3D one, which is usually the opposite of why people opt to make a game 2D.

I mean no offense: the video tutorials blew me away at how much could be done and so efficiently, which is why I bought it, but I'm finding that unless I'm specifically remaking the demo projects step by step, I run into one problem after another. Maybe I need to rely less on the video/text tutorials and actually go through the manual page-by-page a couple times to get a better understanding of how the product works, in order to use it effectively.
  • If you feel it was premature, I hope you change your mind with the imminent 1.32 update.  It brings a "proper" Unity 2D mode, which works in the way you'd expect a 2D workflow to work.
  • I will keep at it a little longer before giving up on the product. Chris, do you have any plans on making a more in-depth 2D tutorial? I've been through the videos, the text-based one, and now part of the manual and I'm still running into problems, particularly with building a player character from scratch. I can drop your Brain2D character into my world and it works fine, but as soon as I try to follow the steps for creating my own, I run into a multitude of unexpected results. 
  • Unexpected results such as?  Tutorials for the new 2D mode are planned, but I need to get some bugfixing out of the way first, so it'll be easier for you if you let me help you directly for now.