Forum rules - please read before posting.

Walk speed slowing down

Hi - total newbie here so apologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

The problem I have is that when I click Walk To for a particular Object, my character's walk speed reduces while walking to the Object, and I can't see why. It also happens if I click "Pick Up" on the same Object and the character needs to walk to it. The character's walk speed remains slow for one click afterward as well (as in, I click Walk To the Object, he walks slow, then I click somewhere else - either before he's reached the Object, or after - and he's still slow, then after that he goes back to normal walking speed).

For the Object in question I have a Walk-to Marker that's associated with the Object in the Hotspot section, and I have a Pick up Interaction that has the Remove Object action and the Inventory Add action only. I added a specific Walk To interaction just to test it, but that didn't fix it so I removed it.

I don't think there's anything else that could be affecting it. Can anyone figure out what I'm missing?

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Scox.

Are your mentions of "Walk To" and "Pick Up" clicks referring to the "Nine verbs" interface? If so, I'm assuming this is for a 2D game - but please correct me otherwise.

To be clear: this is only when dealing with a specific object - with other objects in the scene not showing this issue?

I'd say the first thing to check would be the Z-position of its Walk-to Marker - perhaps the character is having to move towards/away from the camera to reach it. With an Orthographic camera this may not be apparent, but it would cause the character to take longer to reach it.

You can check this at runtime by keeping the Scene window open and de-selecting "2D" at the top, so that you can see what's going on at an angle. Is the character altering their Z-position as they move?

If not, take some screenshots of the situation, link to from e.g. imgur.com, and I'll try to spot what's wrong.

• Hi @ChrisIceBox - I changed the Z values and that fixed it, thank you! I didn't realise that a 2D game would still factor in the Z value, understanding that really helps.