Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pre-Rendered 2.5D layer depth, Character Occlusion

Hey all,

I'm working on a pre-rendered prototype and am currently starting work on the pre-rendered asset pipeline using AC.
I've set up some test pre-rendered backgrounds and want to occlude the character from certain parts of the image. e.g the table is closer and inbetween the character and camera.

I'd assume I'd use some form of alpha or mask but have no idea where to put it. I've done a host of searches and read some threads but can't seem to get the answer for the approach. Possibly my search terms :)

I have collisions in place etc... but in the below image I want the wall to occlude the character as he starts walking into the doorway.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Comments

• edited March 25

Welcome to the community, @ENSLance.

Are you using AC's 2.5D camera perspective? This provides functionality for pre-renderered backgrounds and scene masks. The Manual's "Preparing a 2.5D scene" chapter covers the workflow, and a tutorial can be found here.

The provided technique relies on a Quad that has a cut-out of that portion of the background, positioned in the scene such that characters get drawn underneath when positioned behind it.

You could likely instead rely on a shader that cuts-out objects behind it - using a black/white texture to mask what should get hidden vs what shouldn't. This wouldn't involve AC, however, and would vary depending on your render pipeline.

A third option would be to consider the use of 2.5D Toolkit, a third-party asset which does claim to work with AC (going by this page).

• Thanks Chris,

The segment of the tutorial will no doubt do the trick; thanks again :)