Forum rules - please read before posting.

Indirect Player Navigation > 3D Project > Movement Method 'Unity Navigation'

Video Example of Issue In Action
https://youtu.be/55YGJbo6zSs?si=Yo44mZUUk5s5mVLT

Environment:
Unity 2023.2.11f1
Adventure Creator 1.79.3

Workflow
Following the steps outlined in the 'Adventure Creator: Recreating Unity's adventure game' tutorial.
, using a 'Point and Click' style movement.

Outcome:
Player character walks indirectly toward 'clicked destination' in a subtle arcing path. If the 'clicked destination' is behind the Player character - there is a delay before moving followed by 'turning in place', and once again a subtle arcing rather than direct path.

User error?
Conflict with Unity's newest navigation implementation?

Recommendations and insight are appreciated.

Comments

• edited March 13

Can you share a screenshot of your Player's full Inspector?

My hunch is that this is related to root motion, rather than navigation.

It looks like the character is relying on root motion for movement (and possibly rotation). If this is the case, the character can only update their Transform where/when their animation allows.

The delays may also be related to the Animator - check that you don't have Has Exit Time checked for any transitions to/from your motion animations, as these should be set to run as soon as the parameter changes value.

You can create a "hybrid" where root motion only controls movement, by removing root motion for turning animations and reducing the character's "Root Motion turning" to zero.

Also consider the use of a Blend Tree if you're not using one already - this can aid with Root Motion as it allows the character to slow down naturally as they approach their destination. See the Manual's "Precision movement" chapter for more details on this topic.

While getting up and running, however, you may prefer to go without Root Motion to begin with as it is another layer of complexity. The upcoming v1.80 update will provide the ability to install a "sample 3D Player" character that you can use for prototyping.

• Chris,
    You set me on an adjacent path which did lead me to the correct solution.

The catalyst to my problem was found in Player > Physics > Move With RigidBody. The correct setting is Move With Rigidbody > Off.

I then performed a secondary visual check to follow your guidance ensuring that the parameters you outlined were adhered to.

Success! Desirable outcome achieved.

Thank you, Chris for your insight and assistance.