Forum rules - please read before posting.

Explain this unwanted jittering

Look at this video :

Steps to reproduce (3 minutes) :

• it starts with the "Evil Lair" asset
  • I have added a NavMesh surface, which I've rebaked, and its polygons are visible as an overlay
  • In the video I show how I add a 2D character into this 3D world
  • I don't add a sprite as a child to the player node. Simply focus on the player's movements, represented by what I imagine to be a capsule collider in the game (note that the capsule's mesh is still visible after I remove the collider. I'm not sure where this capsule mesh comes from!)
  • See how I replace the RigidBody + Collider with a "Character Controller"

PROBLEM: When I click in the scene to make the player walk somewhere, sometimes at the stop there's a weird yo-yo effect (jitter) as if the engine needed to tween /fade out to the final stop location.

In this video it happens strongly and at every click, but in reality it doesn't always happen.

What causes it? How can I avoid it?

Comments

• Your Character Controller has a Centre value of (0,0,0), which means that the character's root position is in the middle of it.

It's this root position that is trying to move to the click position, which is on the ground - so there's a height difference it cannot resolve because the Character Controller also acts as a collider.

If you add a Controller or Collider, you need to raise the Centre's Y value to be half the Height (1 in this case). Though, as mentioned in this thread, the Character Controller isn't compatible with Retro-mode pathfinding - you should stick to one or the other.