Forum rules - please read before posting.

UI : Menu, Subtitle - Somehow Ruined the the subtitles ( vanished )

Hello, I was wondering if some boy could help please. I'm new to tinkering with the menu UI's in AC and I have somehow broken the subtitles.

Appreciating that this menu actually has 2 elements, when I was tinkering with the heights and the alignments, which, I initially got working. The dialogue - subtitle box - has vanished altogether, and when I go back to reinstate the heights ( retrace my steps ), the box has vanished is still absent from the screen. I am hoping I have not wrecked it completely, and will need to either reinstate a default menu system. Or start the whole project from an earlier save, if this is the case I will be gutted.

I have attached an image of when I was redesigning the menu. I got as far as adding a new font and centering it, before box with the text on vanished.

Any ideas or tips? OR hopefully something simple I have done to break it?

thanks,

Comments

• I don't see an image - I'm afraid the forum doesn't support hosted images, but if you can upload to e.g. imgur.com, you can copy/paste the link.

Check your Console, as it'll report a Warning if the Menu is to be displayed but is locked.

If you need to re-do your Subtitles menu, there's no need to rebuild the whole thing - set your Menu Manager's asset file (at the top of the Game Editor) to Default_MenuManager, copy the Subtitles menu, then switch back to your own and paste it in.

• Ah, sorry Chris, I used a website called ImageDB I think.

I couldn't see any errors in the console when playing the game. I have, however, with a clear head, and methodical step-by-step approach managed to get the Menu Subtitles to work again. I have intentionally hidden the Subtitles label too.

No need for now to throw the baby out with the bathwater. ( see if anybody gets confused by that saying )

I have not removed my modified Default_MenuManager so far, which I was reluctant to do when I put all that effort into it.

To backstep and fix, I changed the drop-down setting on the menu 'Sizing' back to 'automatic' which seems to have done the trick and shows the AC ui in the game.

When the automatic box sizing is selected - a bit of web UI design speaks - how do I add some padding or spacing above a below the paragraph? The way the text touches the top window box makes me sweat a bit. ;-)

Thank you for your help and for running an awesome piece of software.

I have tried to attach images via Imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/2PVroRK

• If it's an AC menu, you can adjust its Element spacing (%) property to control the padding of elements that have their Position set to Automatic.

Though, I'd recommend switching over to Unity UI for final menu design, as it offers much more in the way of styling. A tutorial on converting an existing Menu to Unity UI can be found here.