Forum rules - please read before posting.

Variable linked to inventory item

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I have a feeling I am missing something simple so forgive me for the daft query.

I have created a global variable as an integer (it is the result of adding 2 other global variables) I would like that answer to convert into coins in my inventory. Is there a way to do this?

PS Thanks so much for making Adventure Creator it amazes me every time I use it.
AC version 1.79.3

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @arrakis338.

A simple custom script can be used to update the amount of items based on an Integer variable value, but you'll need to use it carefully: since the item itself controls its own amount through Inventory: Add or remove Actions, you won't want this link to be constant - but only updated at certain times, i.e. after adding the two other variables together.

This should do it:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class SyncItemCount : MonoBehaviour
    {

public int variableID;
        public int itemID;

public void DoSync ()
        {
            int amount = GlobalVariables.GetIntegerValue (variableID);
            InvInstance existingInstance = KickStarter.runtimeInventory.GetInstance (itemID);
            if (InvInstance.IsValid (existingInstance))
            {
                existingInstance.Count = amount;
                return;
            }

InvInstance newInstance = new InvInstance (itemID, amount);
            KickStarter.runtimeInventory.Add (newInstance);
        }

}

To use, copy/paste into a C# script named SyncItemCount, attach to a GameObject in the scene, then make that object a prefab and remove from the scene. Update its Inspector with the ID values of your variable and item, and then - when you wish to sync the two together - use the Object: Call event Action to call the prefab's (not the script's) DoSync method.

• Thank you so much.

• PS forgot to say that solution worked perfectly (not that there was any doubt) and the step by step instructions were perfect.