Forum rules - please read before posting.

Timeline Issue with 3D Primer Tutorial

Hi ! I'm new to AC and have been doing the 3D Primer tutorial and I'm having an issue with the Timeline section at 1:31:17 where we add an animation track with the temporary prefab for the Panel_UseBook and there isn't any animator assigned as it was the case prior with Panel_Use and then "suddenly" at 1:31:23, there is one (EL_TinPot) but I'm baffled at how Chris manages to do this because I can't achieve that feat... Thanks for your suggestions.
Edit: I can't go any further in the tutorial because I cannot assign anything to any other animation track also.
(Previously addressed in Discord 3D-help - Aquasasser — 19/01/2024 01:04 Got one reply that didn't fix my problem... :(

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Aquasasser. Apologies for the frustration, but rest assured we'll get to the bottom of this.

To be clear: is this to say the prefab has no Animator component?

The temporary prefab assigned is the same in both Timelines - and it's the same prefab assigned as the "Player" in the Settings Manager. You can click this field in the Settings Manager to "ping" the correct prefab in the Project window. If you have the EL_TinPot object in the scene, try removing and re-adding this pinged prefab.

As this is a visual issue, it may help to share any screenshots you can to help clarify the problem. If possible, post some screenshots over on e.g. imgur.com and link them here, and I'll try to spot what's wrong.

• Hi Chris, thanks for replying that fast... and apologies accepted! B)

As a recap, everything went fine up to that dragging of the EL_TinPot temporary prefab the 2nd time for the Panel_UseBook Animation track just like you did in the video, BUT I cannot assign it, and you couldn't either in the video at 1:31:17, but you edited the video and it finally showed up at 1:31:23... :confused:

I tried it again 2 times and also "pinged" it with another prefab, just like you suggested, and it didn't change anything for me, as you will see in the screenshots below. Surely hope that you can "spot" my problem... :wink:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/GPV86NJ

In the meantime, I will just try skipping the first Panel_User and see what happens with only using Panel_UserBook as I want to finish that tutorial because I do appreciate this asset of yours for my "learning to make a game with Unity" journey... without coding ! :smile:

• Thanks for the details.

If I'm understanding right, it looks like this is down to a bit of a quirk of the Timeline window, whereby it can look the same when you have the Timeline asset selected vs the one in the scene - with the latter only being able to assign objects to tracks.

First, make sure the window is unlocked by clicking the "lock" icon in the top-right of the Timeline window. Then, re-select the Timeline object in the scene (the one with the Playable Director component attached). That should cause the scene instance of the Timeline window to show, which you can assign objects to in the Track boxes on the left. If you re-lock the window, you can then select other objects without it disappearing.

Let me know how this goes, but I think that's the situation here.

• Well, you "went to the bottom of it" as fast as your reply yesterday Chris as unlocking the "lock" icon did the job ! Thanks again for your precious help ! B)