Forum rules - please read before posting.

Following NPC causes player 'jump' when under Direct Control mode

edited January 18 in Technical Q&A

Hello! I'm running some tests with direct control (gamepad/ keyboard) instead of pure mouse point and click. It's all implemented and working nicely.

However, if I have an NPC following the character, when I stop, the player 'jumps' position when the NPC starts their movement.

If I remove the NPC, or I stay within range of the NPC there's no jump. The NPC has no child objects, and just a rigidbody (no colliders). There's a slight pause after the jump, which I think is just the NPC 'turn to face before moving' resolving?

I can't work out what's causing this. Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/HixVdS0
(red rectangle is player, white circle is following NPC)

Any help would be much appreciated! -D

Comments

• What are your AC and Unity versions?

Hard to say what it might be from the video - is it a spike in the Profiler? If so, try switching your scene's Pathfinding method to A Star 2D - it's a faster alternative to the default Polygon Collider option.

Otherwise, probably best for me to see for myself. If you can create a .unitypackage of your Managers, the character prefabs, and the test scene, PM it to me and I'll take a look.

• Thanks, I'll hook something up later. I don't think it's a spike, it feels like the character is being forced out (as if two colliders are embedded). I'll check the pathfinding, see what that does.

• Yep, switching to Astar pathfinding worked a treat, all fixed. Thanks Chris!