Forum rules - please read before posting.

Glitch when determining who is being conversed with

I am experiencing an issue that I'm having trouble debugging. When I load Unity fresh and talk to this NPC, it plays the wrong conversation. However when I click around a bit, the next play will correctly play the dialogue. Notice in this video, that I am talking to my NPC "Delaney", but when I first speak to him, the conversation is "SylasBlackwood Master Conversation" instead. This reverts to working soon afterward. Any clue as to what could be causing this?

Comments

• Check the Constant ID values of the three objects involved - that being the two Conversations within the scene, as well as the Conversation prefab the ActionList asset directly references.

When an ActionList asset references a prefab, it will first look for an object in the scene that has the same Constant ID value - and assume the two are equivalent if it finds one. It may be that it's confusing the two together.

Bear in mind that you don't need to have both scene objects and prefabs that refer to the same Conversation. If you want to make sure the ones in the scene are referenced, uncheck Retain in prefab? in your Conversation prefab so that the Constant ID resets to zero, and then re-drag your scene objects into your Dialogue: Start conversation Action(s) so that the correct ID is assigned.

If you instead want the Conversation prefab(s) to be referenced, just remove the Conversation objects from the scene.