Forum rules - please read before posting.

Increase maximum animation transition time

AlfAlf
edited October 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hi all. Hopefully a quick one for somebody. Is it possible to increase the maximum transition time from 2 seconds to 10 seconds when playing a custom animation (Mecanim) on an object? Edit: I'm using a Object:Animate action in an ActionList, just to be clear.

Comments

• I'm not sure about the scripting side of this, but a hacky workaround if you know the fixed second amount that you want to play it at, would be to drag out your animation by that amount.

If you just have to do it a few times i think that's a good way to not halt your progress.

For example: Transition time 2 seconds, your animation should start at 10 seconds, add 8 seconds of "empty" animation at the start of your track to your anim.

• Thanks, snan. Good idea but I'm not sure it will work in my use case, though. I have a bunch of animations which set various parameters on a particle system e.g. light rain, heavy rain, storm etc.. I'm hoping to be able to play any given animation with a long transition to give the appearance of smooth weather variation so the transition time will vary. Anyway, thanks again.

• Ah damn, jeah that would be only suitable for one off animations, you need Chris' professional help. :#

• This is for the Action's "Play Custom" method?

You can change this by opening AC's AnimEngine_Mecanim script and replacing the "2" with "10" on line 615.

The other approach would be to use an Animator parameter to control which animation gets played, rather than referencing your animations directly within the Action. That way, you can set up your Animator Transitions to have the exact transition behaviour you want.

• Yep, that got. Thanks very much, @ChrisIceBox and thanks again to @snan for their help too. Just in case anyone else comes across this in future and is also using an older version of AC, it is around line 615; it was line 597 for me.

Thanks also for the advice about the alternative method. I'm getting more comfortable with the animation system so might try some experiments with that.