Forum rules - please read before posting.

Multiple crafting systems at once?

Hi! Hope you're doing well!
Spanish is not my native language but I'll try to explain myself the best I can.

So, I'm working on a game where the player can harvest certain herbs and prepare different kinds of medicines.
Ideally, I wanted the player to get into a kitchen and then choose which kind of crafting to do, according to the objectives.

For example, walking to a mortar to enable a Mortar craft UI and be able to grind different herbs for then, walking to the Stove and enable a Stove UI to prepare other items.

Is there a way to achieve this? Or it would mean a lot of work/modifications on the AC engine?

Thank you!

Comments

• It should be possible, yes.

If each "station" has its own Crafting Menu (i.e. a Menu that contains both "Ingredients" and "Output" Crafting elements), then each Menu should be treated independently - i.e. items placed on one Menu will be separate from all others.

• Sounds great! Thanks. I'll try to make it work and come back with the results.

• Hi Chris! I'm not sure if the forum was made for this, but could I show you an error I get in the console? I can't seem to figure it out.

• As a matter of fact I just spotted another error. When I open the Craft Menu it shows the wrong UI (and I'm not even sure where is it getting it from). Crafting works OK but I want to personalize the UI and this error is not letting me do it.

I recorded two videos that might help you help me. The first one shows the console error when I activate the Crafting Menu. The second one, shows the wrong UI issue.

• The Console error you're getting is related to a bug in the version you're using. Updating AC to the latest release should fix it.

For the wrong UI issue: it should be the same menu. If you change the background colour of your CraftingUI prefab, you should see the same colour in-game.

The "Preparar" label switching to "Ingredients" is because AC controls the label text from within the Menu Manager. Instead of changing the text within the CraftingUI prefab directly, select the Menu in the Menu Manager, and then the Ingredients element. That's where to customise the label text.

• Thank you! Excellent, I'll update AC then (I saw the explanation on your tutorial).

About the wrong UI, I found that there's a "Source" option on the Menu Config. It's currently set to "Unity UI Prefab", is that ok?

I tried changing it to Adventure Creator and found that I could edit the menu properties with no problem.

• Both options are valid, but they have their differences.

The Adventure Creator option is easier to work with, as you've found, and is best suited for rapid-prototyping.

The Unity UI Prefab option is more complicated, but offers much more control over styling and customisation, and is best for final design.

For details on how to use Unity UI, see the Manual's "Unity UI menus" chapter as well as this tutorial. The creation of Unity UI-based Menus is also covered in video form as part of this tutorial.

• Oh wow! I didn't know about this tutorial. Thank you!

• Hi Chris! Coming back to this discussion. I managed to create two different crafting menus for each of my "stations".

If each "station" has its own Crafting Menu (i.e. a Menu that contains both "Ingredients" and "Output" Crafting elements), then each Menu should be treated independently - i.e. items placed on one Menu will be separate from all others.

My problem now is that the ingredients that the player will use at both stations are the same.

I mean, with the same ingredients, the player could craft health potions in one station and mana potions in the other.

Is there a way to make each station have its own recipes?

• Yes, by limiting what items can be placed in each crafting menu.

In the Inventory Manager's "Categories" tab, you can define different categories for each of your items. For example, a "Fruit" category for apples, bananas etc.

After defining a new category, check Available to items? beneath it, and it's then available to select in each item's properties panel.

Then, in your Crafting menu(s), select your "Ingredients" element and check Limit by category?. This will let you restrict which categories of Items you can place on it.

• edited October 2023

Then, in your Crafting menu(s), select your "Ingredients" element and check Limit by category?. This will let you restrict which categories of Items you can place on it.

Thanks Chris! Although I think I didn't explain myself well enough, I'll try again.

Here's my issue, let's say the player has apples and bananas as items. With apples and bananas (same recipe), I want the player to be able to craft 2 different items (depending on which crafting UI, or "station" is being used).

For example, with one "station" the player can input apples and bananas and receive a fruit juice. On the other "station" with the same items as input, it would receive for example, a fruit salad.

• Thanks for clarifying.

You can limit the Crafting menu's "Output" element by category as well. If a Recipe's resulting item is not in the category you limit this box to, it won't be able to appear in the output box.

However, currently there is a bug with this - in that if you have two Recipes with the same ingredients, but separate outputs in different categories, then both will be ignored if one isn't able to show in the Menu. I will fix this as part of the next update.

• Thanks for clarifying.

Thank you for your patience, as always.

I don't mean to abuse of your time so I often doubt about making questions that are too basic, but then I think that it could be useful to somebody with the same basic problem or in the best of cases, useful for improving the asset itself.

So, I'm really glad this will be a feature in the next update.

However, I do need to ask you so I decide which way to take with my actual project since I have 3 weeks to finish it in time 🫠.. is there a release date for the next update?

• Nothing set in stone, though I'm aiming for it to be within the next few weeks.

You're welcome to test the fix, however. PM me a reminder on Monday and I should have something you can try.

• Great, I'll PM you on Monday and we'll try it out.

Have a great weekend.