Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot highlight flicker after mouse leaves the hotspot

I stumbled upon this short flicker when hovering away from hotspots in Adventure creator (latest version on almost latest version of unity.

Do not worry about the custom icon shenanigans I have going on in there, I tried this with non-altered Adventure Creator built in hotspots and the same issue persists:

When I hover on top of the hotspot and move my mouse away from the spot, the alpha of the hotspot flickers. The same happens when I strip away all my custom stuff (in this capture they are just left enabled).

https://youtu.be/cXnGj1IXMP8

I captured some video of the issue in question.

Any ideas? Could it be something with the highlight component? It only appears when I leave the hotspot, if I zoom by it, the alpha change is nice and smooth.

Comments

• As the icon's transparency is tied to the cursor, I'm assuming you this is due to the Settings Manager's Highlight Hotspots based on cursor proximity? field, as opposed to a custom script.

With this setting, the icon ought to only disappear gradually - unless the Hotspot is turned off or you're not in gameplay, neither of which appear to be the case.

Can you share a screenshot of your Settings Manager, as well as the shape of the Hotspot's collider?

What'll help here is to do a bit of Console logging. If you open up AC's Highlight script, look for the SetMinHighlight function around line 308. At the top of it, copy/paste the following:

if (gameObject.name == "MyObject") { if (minHighlight > 0f) Debug.Log ("Set value to " + minHighlight); else Debug.LogWarning ("Zero value"); }

Replacing "MyObject" with the name of the GameObject that this specific Highlight component is attached to.

That'll cause the Console to report changes to its alpha value at runtime - separating zero and non-zero values as Warning and Info messages.

See if you can find the message that corresponds to the flicker - it may be e.g. a single Warning message amonst a sea of Infos. Select the message in full and copy/paste it here, and we'll see if it sheds any light.

• I will provide you this info. I get this flicker regardless of the shape of the hotspot colliders, I usually use the box shape.

• I am not sure if I was clear that this happens on every hotspot in the game.

• the debug logging does not report anything out of the ordinary... The log looks correct. the value never flicks at zero in the log, but I can clearly see the flicker in the game view.

• But when I track the Highlight value, I do see an outlier!

I added the same debug script of yours to the update function of the highlight script. When moving away from the hotspot the highlight value is set to 1 on one frame only. The MinHighlight value stays clean, but the highlight value does not (and this is without any custom stuff from me on top, so this seems to be a bug in the highlight script in Adventure creator).

When I comment out this bit of the code, the issue is resolved and the flicker is gone:

I have a few guesses on how this could be fixed, but I am pretty sure you can figure it out from these results in the next update maybe?

• (My fix ideas did not work)

• edited September 2023

Recreated, thanks for the details.

Instead of commenting out the line, replace it with:

highlight = MinHighlight;

Does that fix it?

• Oh it should. I will try.

• yes this also fixes it