Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Play in Background" text dismisses itself too quickly

When I set my dialogue lines to "Play in Background", I can't seem to control how quickly they dismiss themselves. I have two types of dialogue: foreground dialogue that goes full VN mode and pauses the game, and background dialogue that shows above the character's head as you interact with something and walk around.

The background text ends up dismissing pretty quickly, pretty much right after the text crawl is finished spitting it out. Any way to make it stick around a bit longer?

Comments

• foreground dialogue that goes full VN mode and pauses the game

Is that due to scripting, or use of the "Display subtitles forever" option?

There are a few factors at play when it comes to calculating the duration of subtitle text. If you can share the following, I'll see if I can recreate the issue on my end:

• A screenshot of your Speech Manager's "Subtitles" panel
    • Some typical background text that displays too soon
    • Your AC/Unity version numbers
    • If your speech has audio or not

Thanks

• I just have two different dialogue menus. AC selects which menu to use based on whether or not the dialogue action has "Play in Background" checked or not, a solution I got from you here.

The two dialogue menus isn't actually related so maybe me adding that was just confusing. The "issue" is that when you play dialogue using "Play in Background", the dialogue no longer waits for the player to press something in order to dismiss it. It will dismiss automatically, and I'd like to be able to adjust the speed at which it does so because I find it auto-dismisses too fast.

• AC v1.74.5
    Unity 2022.3.0f1
    No speech/audio

A video example, on twitter You can see here when I interact with the birdhouses, the text menu closes pretty quickly after the text is done displaying, making it hard to read it fast enough. But I don't want to slow down the speed at which the text is displayed.

• edited September 2023

Thanks for the details - though it's not the Subtitles menu I'm after, but the Subtitles panel at the top of the Speech Manager. This is what determines the length that such text is displayed.

• Thanks, I believe I've recreated this.

It looks like a case of the Speech Manager's Minimum display time and Display time factor being hidden but still in use for background speech.

I will remedy this in an update, but in the meantime: uncheck Display subtitles forever until user skips it? to re-show these options, increase their values, and then re-check the first option.

• Interesting, thanks!