Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspots clickable trough walls...

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
hi all...big issue here :(

I have 2 rooms wiht different hotspots in it and this 2 rooms are separated by a door...when I close one door the hotspots in other room are still clickable...the walls are on ignore raycast layer and I tried to put it in default layer too but I still have this issue...how is that possible?

obviusly we are talking about a 3d ambient :)

Comments

• Do the walls have a collider attached to them? If not they will just let raycasts pass right through them.
  • Do u mean a collider as component?
  • Ok, for the walls I tried box collider but nothing...then I tried mesh collider and worked for the hotspots NOTdetection very nicely...but he still works with the navmesh...example...If I click on the wall with the collider on it the character instead going to the wall and stops he find his path to the other room :(
  • This was been brought up a little while ago.  Please wait for the 1.30 update.  With that, you will be able to place a CollisionCube or other collider on the Default layer to block clicks.
  • Hey Chris, sorry to bother u but now the collision cubes are blockin the raycast and it's ok for the hotspot detection in the other rooms but not for the player path...they don't block the clicks on the walls...the character keep walking to the wall :(
  • Have you placed the Colliders onto the correct layer?  The player will still walk to the wall, but won't be trying to go "through it", if you see what I mean.
  • yeah I can understand what u say but I have to disagree...he still try to go trough it :( I placed a box collider between the walls on the default layers...nothing :(
  • Perhaps there's been a miscommunication here.  Is your NavMesh arranged such that it "wraps around" the walls like it should do?  You shouldn't rely on blocking Characters for pathfinding - your NavMesh should still only mark out the area you want the Player to move.
  • I think the only way to understand each other is trough screenshots...I'll post few tonight! now I can't :)
  • Believe me I tested all...I rebuilt a scene just to try it...same results...the walls are on the ignore raycast level...the navmesh is wrapped around the walls perfectly....the collision cubes are on the default level...dunno what to do...in a 3d game this is fundamental...
  • edited April 2014
    I still can't do much without screenshots or a download link.

However, I would say that you should always limit your NavMeshes boundaries to just the area your player can walk.  Does your NavMesh go into the other room as well?  If it does, I suggest separating your NavMesh into two separate meshes (use the Mesh Collider navigation method), and swapping the "active" one as needed.
  • Is using the unity system more memory consuming?
  • I can't say, not having coded it myself, but it's likely more accurate.
  • Chris just to let u know and if can be usefull for some other user...I solve the navmesh problem reducing to 0 the search navmesh % field...now is working perfectly :)