Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can I use Adventure Creator on an existing project?

Hi everybody!

First of all, I need to address that english is not my native language so if something doesn't make much sense, it's probably because of that.

So, I recently begun 3D game project using the Third Person Template that comes with Unity nowadays. It's part of the Starter Asset packages. I'm using the Universal Render Pipeline.

I didn't do much yet, added a terrain, some shapes to represent houses and a game object with some post-processing effects.

I tried the New Game Wizard choosing:
Camera Perspective: 3D / Direct
Interface: Context Sensitive
GUI system: Default Unity UI (as recommended on the tutorial)
Input method: Keyboard or Controller (i want it to be played on controller)
Hotspot detection: Player Vicinity

Then I get a warning:

"AC has detected the scene object 'MainCamera', which is tagged as 'MainCamera'.

AC requires that the scene's MainCamera also has the AC.MainCamera script attached.

Should it convert 'MainCamera', or untag it and create a separate MainCamera for AC?"

Si I'm immediately wondering if I should start from scratch and not use the Third Person Template, or if I can just set it all up to work correctly.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @acercandrito.

AC can be used in existing projects - but I'd recommend trying AC out in a fresh project first, just to familiarise yourself with how it works.

The 3D Primer tutorial, which uses Direct control in the same way as you intent, can be found here. A separate series of introductory text tutorials are available here.

AC has its own character controller that should be suitable for standard adventure-game mechanics. You can make use of other controllers if you wish - however, an integration script is required to have it communicate with AC. This is so that you can still have AC take control over the character during cutscenes etc.

An integration script for Unity's Third Person Controller is available on the AC wiki:

https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Unity_Third_Person_Controller_integration

Regarding the Camera popup: Either option you choose is OK, as you can still make changes manually to it afterwards. In general, it's best to untag it, and have AC rely on its own.

If you want to use your own camera, you can attach AC's Basic camera component to it, and then activate it as you would normally in AC - e.g. via the Camera: Switch Action, or Default Camera Scene Manager setting.

Details on how AC's Camera system works can be found in the Manual's "Cameras overview" chapter.

• Thank you!! I'll check it out and give feedback as soon as I get it working properly.