Forum rules - please read before posting.

Seeking Help: Freezing Issues in Windows Version build

edited August 2023 in Engine development

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share a rather serious issue that I'm facing. I'm new in gamedev and AC, so I apologize if it's not the right place. I also don't know the cause, whether it's due to AC, Unity, or something else.

Both in the editor and when I compile the game for Android or HTML5, it works perfectly. However, when compiling the Windows version, the game randomly freezes at some point between 2 and 6 minutes of gameplay. It freezes the whole computer, I have to restart manually.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you know the cause or if there's a way to avoid it?

This only happens on Windows. I've already tried compiling it in both Mono and IL2CPP with the same result. I've also tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

I'd like to highlight that randomly in the editor, at any moment, the following warning appears:
[Worker0] Internal: There are remaining Allocations on the JobTempAlloc. This is a leak, and will impact performance
[Worker0] To Debug, run app with -diag-job-temp-memory-leak-validation cmd line argument. This will output the callstacks of the leaked allocations.
I also don't know the reason for this warning or if it's something related to AC or something else. But in Discord, another user mentioned experiencing these types of warnings and doesn't know how to get rid of them (perhaps it's not related to the problem I mentioned).

I'm leaving this here because it's preventing me from having a functional Windows version, and it worries me because I have no way to find the cause or know if it's fixable. Maybe someone else has experienced this and has been able to solve it.

I am using AC 1.78.1 and Unity 2022.3.2f1

Greetings to all, and I apologize if this inquiry doesn't fit.

Comments

• It's too early to tell where the source of this lies - do you have any other script assets in your project beside AC?

It may be an issue with that version of Unity - in a backup, try switching to 2021 and/or 2023 versions.

A good tool to help diagnose memory leaks is Unity's Profiler. If you run the game with the window open, and "Deep Profile" enabled, look for spikes that indicate heavy memory usage - selecting them will reveal more info underneath.

• Thank you very much, Chris! I can't identify what the problem is, and I don't understand Unity's Profiler well. But thanks to your advice, I've been able to create a new project, import the content from my project using the export custom package / import custom package method, and reinstall AC, Probuilder, post-process package, etc. And even though it looks strange, especially the lighting and textures, the Windows build doesn't freeze. Using version 2023, it was also freezing. So, I'll have to make adjustments from there. Many thanks and regards!