Forum rules - please read before posting.

The best way to pause an animation at any time?

So I would like to stop an animation (several) exactly when I want it to happen, with a button.
What would be the best way to do this?

I followed the instructions here:
https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/10395/pause-mechanim

Here you said to "attach this script (PauseAnimator.cs) to your Animator".
But how can I attach one script to one Animator?
I can only attach this to one GameObject. Or I don't know too much about Unity :(

So what I did was to make a Prefab from that GameObject (which is basically the animation with the Bird from the 2D tutorial, always running) and assign it to AC's Object: Call event.
Because I cannot directly assign a GameObject, with this assigned script.

And when I try to use AC's Object: Call event, I can't figure out which options to choose. I don't see the Pause or Resume part there.
I will attach the picture below.
https://ibb.co/W64gyQB

Maybe the answer is obvious, but I'm not that good at coding.

And one more question, why is the Resume speed still 0?

Thank you again!

Comments

• Here you said to "attach this script (PauseAnimator.cs) to your Animator".

I was referring to the same GameObject that the Animator component is attached to.

If you're using the Object: Call event Action, the functions will need to be public - just add the public keyword to the front of both functions.

This Action type can only affect scene objects when part of a scene-based ActionList, however. If you want to have an ActionList asset reference a scene object, or a scene-based ActionList reference a prefab, use the Object: Send message Action instead.

• Thank you for your help!

So I managed to pause the animation with Object: Send message where I set Message to send: Custom and Method name Pause/Resume.
    I also put GetComponent <Animator>().speed = 1f; at resume part in that script. So no 0f.

I still don't understand how to use Object: Call event, since nothing happens when I use this part with Pause/Resume.

• edited August 2023

What kind of ActionList is the Object: Call event Action placed in, and what/where is the object you're having it affect?

It's important to be sure to have this Action affect a GameObject that has the script as a component, rather than affect the script directly - even though it's technically possible.

It's also the case that you can't have an asset affect a scene object this way, as the Constant ID system won't work with this Action. In this case, Object: Send message is the way to go.

• Well, I tried with the** BirdAnims1_0(Prefab Asset**) from 2D Demo > Graphics > Sprites > Bird , with that script attached to it.

So I guess I was wrong :D