Forum rules - please read before posting.

Feature request: Multiple Autosaves

It would be cool if we could have multiple autosaves that increment to a new save slot with each save. We can also have a cap on autosaves like we have with the manual save system as well.

I think players are used to having autosave do all the saving for them nowadays and they don't think about manually saving like back in the day (at least that's the impression I get from my playtests :)). I see reviews on some games that don't have this get in trouble if there are bugs that softlock the game and there is only one autosave that doesn't go back far enough before the game softlocks (games I have made have been a culprit of this as well :)).

I'm making a hack version the multiple autosave feature by using 2 different profiles and swapping back and forth but I found it's a bit convoluted since I also have to copy all the Options data when switching over to the autosave profile as well as create custom actions for the multiple autosaves.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Thanks for reading this!

Comments

• players are used to having autosave do all the saving for them nowadays and they don't think about manually saving like back in the day

That's a good point.

Technically, though, an autosave is just a save with both a fixed ID/slot index - the Save: Save or load Action can still be used to automatically save the game.

This Action's Save New Game method will save a new file in the next available slot. If you wanted to name it "Autosave", you can check With custom label? and enter in details there.

Is there a particular aspect of the "named" autosave feature that isn't possible using the above? I'm open to suggestions, but the intent with the Action is to enable behaviour along the lines you're describing.

• Thanks for the reply Chris. Yeah that makes sense. I guess I forgot to mention wanting to leave in the option for manual saves as well (some people really want to save wherever they want). So giving the player the option to manually save their game at any valid point and also have a separate list for autosaves, for those who forget to save, and not have the autosaves be mixed in with the manual saves, for clarity.

• Understood, thanks.

I'll give this some thought as to how this might be achieved.

• Chris, once you find a solution, would you be able to share the mechanics here before it is implemented? This sounds like a good feature to have, but I can also see how it could mess with how I've customised my saving system, so I'd appreciate the chance to give feedback before it is released!

• I'm not planning on making changes that would affect the existing system - at least not intentionally.

My approach on this would be to introduce a "Tag" system, where save files can be assigned a Tag - either through the SavesList element, or the "Save: Save or load" Action.

A Tag can then be used to filter the display of save files in SavesList element.

The intent here is to allow for both the above, as well as wider situations. For example, saves could be categorised by the game's current chapter, etc.