Forum rules - please read before posting.

Having two different dialogue UIs for different situations

My game only has one interaction type per interaction (you're either talking to a person or inspecting an object). I'd like it so that when you talk to an NPC, you get a full visual novel style dialogue pop up with the portraits, but when you inspect an object, only the important ones give you a full UI like that. For less important objects that end up only having "dialogue" for flavor, I'd like to have a separate less intrusive UI (like text over the character's head, for example). Is there a clean/standard way to accomplish this with AC without having to awkwardly manually turn on and off menus?

Comments

• A Subtitle menu has additional properties that you can use to filter its display, so that it only shows for specific characters, or only when blocking/background speech is displaying.

If flavour text is only ever played in the background, you could set a second Subtitles menu up to only show background speech, your regular menu to only show blocking speech, and their displays would be automatic.

Otherwise, it would have to be a case of keeping one of the Menus locked so that only the other one shows. This is a little different to turning them on/off - when locked, a Menu won't turn on even when its "Appear type" condition is met. You can still leave this set to "When Speech Plays", but use the Menu: Change state Action to lock one and unlock the other.

It's also possible to lock Menus through custom script to automate this behaviour based on some condition. For example, you could have a script listen out for an ActionLists GameObject's "Tag", so that it switches to your flavour text UI if an ActionList with a given Tag is run. I can advise further if something along these lines sounds useful.