Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player not spawning at PlayerStart

I hate to ask help in trouble shooting my project, but I can not find where I messed things up.
My player no longer spawns at the PlayerStart marker nor follows the PointAndClick.
I uploaded a video to my YouTube channel to show the issues. Hopefully it is something simple, but I just haven't been able to narrow it down. Thanks for any pointers.

Unity version: 2021.3.21f1
AC version: 1.77.4a

Comments

• I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work from the video. Is the NavMesh baked where the PlayerStart is?

The only thing I can see is that your prefab's position is non-zero - but that shouldn't be a factor. If you clear it to (0,0,0), where do they appear?

If you drop in the Demo game's Player, Tin Pot, into the scene, it'll override your own. Do they have the same issues? You can find the prefab in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources.

• edited July 2023

Tin Pot worked fine. So I compared him to mine and noticed two items different...I had unchecked Apply Root Motion and had Culling Mode set differently (see image...my prefab on top, Tin Pot below him). Once I updated those, and reset my prefab, my character spawns, and walks like he should. But the double-click for run is not working. Double clicking activates the run animation, but my character pretty much just runs "in place". Tin Pot runs fine. I'll dive deeper to see where my disconnect might be.

Thanks for the suggestion of testing with a known good (Tin Pot).

https://imgur.com/ZIp6uqU

• Ah, I should've seen that.

Yes, you'll need to check "Apply Root Motion" if the animations your character makes use of also involve root motion.

When this option is enabled, AC won't move the character itself - instead, it'll just update the Animator's "Move speed" float parameter, and it'll be up to the Animator to have this play an animation that moves the character.

If the character isn't moving when the run animation is played, it sounds like the run animation doesn't involve root motion. You'll need to ensure there's a consistency for your walk/run animations when it comes to them using root motion - either they both do, or neither do.

If you want to rely on root motion, you'll either need to update your run animation with root motion incorporated, or rely on a different animation that does.