Forum rules - please read before posting.

Timeline remap bindings to animator nested in a prefab

Hi,
I have a timeline with a couple of characters interacting. In this timeline, I need to play some "standard" animations the characters normally use, as well as record new custom animations.

My characters are set up in a way that the animator component is not placed in the main object, but in its immediate child. Also important: for this timeline, both characters are prefabs and neither is placed in the scene by default, but one is added via action list, and the other is the player.

Via adventure creator "control timeline" action I can remap the bindings of each timeline track to a prefab, which is fine for when I want to move the character around, or create some new custom animations within the timeline itself (I just needed to add an additional animator component on the character's main object).

What I can't seem to do is re-use my standard animations: because they should be played from the controller that is placed on prefab's child. And I didn't find a way to remap the corresponding track to a child of the prefab, instead of the prefab itself.

Is there a way to do it or should I refactor all of my animations to be played from the controller on the prefab?

here's how the an example character is organized, and here's the timeline tracks

thanks!

Comments

• You'll have to move your Engine: Control Timeline Action to an ActionList asset file, so that you can then view it while also keeping Prefab Mode open to select the child object.

Dragging the child from Prefab Mode into the asset-based Action should generate and record a Constant ID number. So long as the Constant ID component has Retain in prefab? checked, it should be consistent when placed in the scene, ready to be rebound.

• I'll try that, thanks!