Forum rules - please read before posting.

Linking unity UI to menu manager

I am trying to link a Unity UI Prefab to my Subtitles Menu. I've been following the manager. I drag the default unity subtitles provided to us into the scene. Then I drag the UI prefab into my scene. I link each component I need to the menu as instructed, and do Overrides --> apply all. Then I delete the prefab from the scene, but the instant I do so the Linked field says "Missing (Text)"

Honestly, I feel like we desperately need a tutorial on using Unity UI prefab with AC to cover some of the more advanced parts in detail. I've been stumbling trying to figure out if AC will be able to fit my needs in this area.

Comments

• Apologies for the frustration.

The "Missing (Text)" fields are expected, as Unity cannot expose field references to objects nested within a prefab. Once the object is removed from the scene, it will not be able to show the linked Text object.

AC's Constant ID system, which uses ID numbers to link objects with Menu Elements, is used to get around this automatically. In the background, AC will record a Text's ID number and associate it with that Element. At runtime, when the prefab is spawned in the scene, that ID number will be used to re-link the two together.

It sounds like you've covered all the steps correctly - is the UI not updating correctly at runtime. If you'd like to share screenshots of your setup, I'll try to spot any issues.

Tutorials on working with Unity UI menus can be found in text form here, and in video form here.