Forum rules - please read before posting.

Create Animation At Cursor When Not Clicking On Hotspot

Hi everyone. I am a bit stumped and would appreciate any help with this.

I am using the code below to create an animation at the cursor location when clicking on a Hotspot. For instance, a ripple when clicking on water. The code works well.

However, I want to create a default animation to be played in the same way when no Hotspot is being clicked on. In this case it is a puff of dust to let the player know clicking here does nothing. I have tried modifying the code by adding an Else statement and a few other things but as far as I can tell this code relies on a Hotspot being clicked on.

Is there a simple way for me to achieve what I want? Do Unity or AC have a setting that relates to this. Thank you for any help.

`using UnityEngine;
using AC;

public class ACC : MonoBehaviour
{
public Hotspot hotspot;
public GameObject ACC_GameObject;
public float lifeTime;

private void Awake()
{
    EventManager.OnHotspotInteract += ACC_Appear;
}

public void ACC_Appear(Hotspot hotspot, Button button)
{
    if (hotspot == this.hotspot && button == hotspot.GetFirstUseButton())
    {
        Vector3 worldPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(Input.mousePosition);
        worldPosition.z = hotspot.transform.position.z;
        GameObject go = Instantiate(ACC_GameObject);
        go.transform.position = worldPosition;
        Destroy(go, lifeTime);
    }
}

private void OnDestroy()
{
    EventManager.OnHotspotInteract -= ACC_Appear;
}

}`

Comments

• There's no AC event for the case that the mouse is clicked over empty space - but you can read Unity's Input.GetMouseButtonDown function for that.

You can then read the value of AC's GetActiveHotspot and IsMouseOverMenu functions to determine if the mouse was over a Hotspot or Menu at the time:

void Update ()
    {
        if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown (0))
        {
            if (KickStarter.playerInteraction.GetActiveHotspot () == null &&
                !KickStarter.playerMenus.IsMouseOverMenu ())
            {
                // Clicked over empty space
            }
        }
    }

• Thank you for your quick and helpful response as always, this looks perfect. I tried using a large Hotspot that covered the whole scene but it caused a noticeable performance drop in the larger scenes. This is a far more elegant solution.