Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Run Other Conversation" sometimes not working with Conversation prefabs

Hello, I'm experimenting with dialogue options and trying to create a rich crpg-like companion dialogue with multiple branches, my approach was to create many Conversation prefab objects that would contain options like "Back to my previous questions" that would have their "When finished:" option set to "Run Other Conversation" and the previous Conversation prefab dragged into the slot. But it seems that half of the time clicking on that option will just stop the dialogue. A very weird and incoherent thing was that the other day it looked like an action list was necessary in the "Interaction" slot - basically if I put a simple action list with a single line of dialogue then the previous conversation could be run. But right now it looks like that doesn't even change anything, I really don't know what to think !

Could someone try creating a few Conversation prefabs that go back and forth between each other and tell me if they get the same issues ? Thanks in advance !

Comments

• If you assign a prefab file in the Conversation to run field, it'll run that original prefab - not any instance of it that may be in the scene. It should work, but be aware that changes to it such as toggling options may not be properly reflected.

I'm not able to recreate this particular issue, however. What are your AC/Unity versions, and is your Interaction source set to Asset File? Check your Console for related messages/warnings as well.

• Hello, I'm using Unity 2022.3.1 and AC 1.77.4, and the Interaction Source is set to Asset File indeed. It does seem like it is necessary to have an action list that at least performs a simple action like playing a dialogue line, if no action list is set into the interaction field or if it just contains a wait for 0 seconds node then the dialogue ends. We get this in the console only if the interaction slot is empty :

"No DialogueOption object found on Conversation 'ConvoPrefabTest1'

-> AC debug logger"

Here is a video demonstrating the issue : https://youtube.com/watch?v=s0gpxW98NvU&ab_channel=CheotheDarkPioupiou

I hope this was helpful ! Can you now recreate the issue or is it only on my end ?

• Thank you, it is. If no Actions are run, then the Conversation will end. I agree that the expected behaviour should be that the "When finished" property is still respected - I'll look into this.

In the meantime, an Engine: Wait Action of -1 second should be enough.

• Yes, setting it to -1 to get a 1 frame pause does the trick ! The tooltip for "When finished" says "What happens when the DialogueOption ActionList has finished" so it was indeed expecting an action list to be completed ! But yeah as we agree that's not what we would naturally expect. Thanks again for your help !