Forum rules - please read before posting.

Timeline integration: crossfade camera

I'm trying to create a timeline with a kind of a "slideshow" with several illustrations, each of them with small animated details. In my scene, I laid out all the illustrations on a row, each with its own camera, and I manage all the little pieces that I need to move through the timeline director.
My only problem is that I can't find a way to crossfade between one illustration and the next. The AC "main camera" track makes the viewpoint pan from illustration1 to illustration2 (like in an AC action "camera: switch"), which is not really what I want.
There is also a "fade camera" track available, but if I'm not mistaken that's only for fading to and from black, and it doesn't allow to fade to another camera.
Is there a way to have the track crossfade between cameras (like in an AC action "camera: crossfade")?

Comments

• Are the illustrations animated? If not, you can use the "Fade Camera" track - only assign the first illustration as the track's "Overlay Texture", and fade into the next camera from that.

Otherwise, it'd be a case of animating the second illustration to fade itself in on top of the first.

• Yeah they're animated so I can't use the fade camera track. Also I'm using PSB files for each: is there a way to fade in/out the whole PSB, without managing the transparency of each layer?
    I found this, but I suppose it's only for the "fade object" action in an action list, and not a standard unity animation?

• is there a way to fade in/out the whole PSB, without managing the transparency of each layer?

Unity's Canvas Group can do this for UI components, but AFAIK there's no equivalent for scene sprites. If you renderer the illustrations using Unity UI, you could do it.

Managing separate layer transparencies could be done through script - but the effect wouldn't look right.

However, it looks like Cinemachine can handle this:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/is-it-possible-for-a-blend-to-interpolate-between-images-instead-of-position.541865/#post-3573211

AC can be used with Cinemachine, but how exactly you do depends on your situation. You could try using Cinemachine just for this Timeline, and AC for the rest - see the Manual's "Working with Cinemachine" chapter for an overview.