Forum rules - please read before posting.

Open a new menu when clicking on an inventory item

Hello :)

I am seeking help... I have an object in my game (it's a Morse Code translation sheet) that players pick up and add to their inventory. When they click on that item only, I would like for a new "menu" to open in which I have it display a large version of that document with a button that allows them to close it. I have all of this built, however I am having trouble actually getting the inventory click to do what I want. Is it possible to have this type of interaction just for a single item in the inventory box without making that behavior apply to all items in there?

I appreciate very simple explanations as I do not speak C#.

Thanks!

AC v1.77.1
Unity 2021.3.23f1 Personal

Comments

• If you select the Item in the Inventory Manager, scroll down to the bottom to find its "Standard interactions" panel.

This panel will adjust a little bit based on your settings, but if you have a field named Use, then any ActionList you assign there will be run when left-clicking that specific item.

More on this topic can be found in the Manual's "Inventory interactions" chapter.

• As always, thanks for the speedy reply. :-)

What might be some of the (million) reasons that I can't get that to work? I'm guessing it's something simple that I'm just forgetting to select or deselect, but I cannot get it to open for the life of me!

• edited May 2023

I learn a lot by reviewing posts here in the forum.
    I followed what Chris suggested and I was able to have a TestMenu appear after selecting an item in the inventory.
    I uploaded a screen shot of the Inventory menu and the ActionList I created as a test. I also linked a very short video to show how it works in-game. Here again, this was just a test to see if I could get it to work via Chris' note.

Chris, I hope you don't mind and if I'm off base here, please let me know. Just thought I'd help if I could...you've helped me many times.

Image: https://imgur.com/LfWMWVt
    Video:

Image how to create new/separate ActionList: https://imgur.com/EohJyN3

Unity: 2021.3.21f1 (personal)
    AC: 1.77.3

• To know what the issue might be, I'd need to see what you have so far. Can you share screenshots of your Settings Manager, and the properties of a typical Inventory item in the Inventory Manager?

Screenshots can be posted to imgur and linked here.

• Miraculously, I finally managed to get it working! Thank you both so much for the help! :-)