Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC Subtitles not playing after conversation override options

I am using the override option method in my conversation, but for some reason any subtitle speech following the conversation doesn't show, the speech audio plays, and subtitles play beforehand. The NPC subtitle is exactly the same as the Players subtitles. Also, if I have the player say the line, the subtitles appear. Below is a link to screenshots and 3 videos showing the three examples above.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iUqroD94NrNidXnMXEln39ZDtIWommLN?usp=sharing

Comments

• Is this to say that if the Conversation runs, without overriding options, the subtitles appear?

What is your AC version, and what is the NPC's Speaker label field set to?

Open up AC's Speech.cs script, and look for the line:

if (!limitToCharacters.EndsWith (";")) limitToCharacters = limitToCharacters + ";";

Underneath, copy/paste:

if (speaker) Debug.Log (speechMenuLimit + ", " + LineID + ", " + limitToCharacters + ", " + GetSpeaker (0)); else Debug.Log ("No speaker for " + LineID);

Clear the Console before the speech is about to play, and then share all messages it produces as the speech plays.

• edited April 2023

AC V1.76.3

NPC Speaker label field is set to RealBumpitySpine.

If I turn the overriding options off then nothing will play, as the conversation itself is simply an A or B for the Player to choose, which results in the player dialogue then the NPC dialogue (that doesn't show subtitles, but should), and not actual speech. See screenshots here with override off, and conversation.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gpWW_yjqbE4kp1HZyrNx3qa96IGYr2SE?usp=share_link

When I add the line in to the script, the Players subtitles disappear, but this console message appears when the NPC subtitles should appear.

Invalid layer id. Please use the unique id of the layer (which is not the same as its index in the list).
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent:Invoke ()
    AC.ActionEvent:Run () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionEvent.cs:39)
    AC.ActionList/<RunAction>d__45:MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:460)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine (System.Collections.IEnumerator)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction (int) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:410)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessActionEnd (AC.ActionEnd,int,bool) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:609)
    AC.ActionList:EndAction (AC.Action) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:568)
    AC.ActionList/<RunAction>d__45:MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:532)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine (System.Collections.IEnumerator)
    AC.ActionList:ProcessAction (int) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:410)
    AC.ActionList:BeginActionList (int,bool) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:377)
    AC.ActionList:Interact (int,bool) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:278)
    AC.ActionList:Interact () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:241)
    AC.Char:PausePath (single,AC.Cutscene) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Char.cs:2259)
    AC.Char:PathUpdate () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Char.cs:893)
    AC.Char:BaseUpdate () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Char.cs:663)
    AC.NPC:_Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/NPC.cs:117)
    AC.StateHandler:Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:275)

This message also comes up at the start of the scene.

• When I add the line in to the script, the Players subtitles disappear, but this console message appears when the NPC subtitles should appear.

The line simply prints a log in the Console - it won't prevent subtitles from disappearing.

The message you are getting is coming from an Object: Call event Action. It's a Unity message - check for instances of this Action being called around this time.

• Struggling to find what’s causing it, would this cause the main issue of the thread?
  • That's what I am trying to determine.

Again, adding the line above will not affect behaviour. If the behaviour as changed, check that you have not made any other changes.

Look for the message that this reports in the Console as the problematic speech plays.

• edited April 2023

So, it seems the call event warning is due to my Pedestrian NPC's (who don't talk) and I', obviously called the wrong index in their sorting order somehow? but this doesn't affect the subtitles if I remove this.

see screenshots here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NL8tF4_xCWVVvC7a546rHLoBvwhIU8NC?usp=share_link

In regards to the subtitles not playing, I realised that the conversation action list on had locked them, but I managed to unlock them, so all is good!