Forum rules - please read before posting.

Citizen Sleeper/Norco style Dialogue UI

Hi there,

I'm interested in combining my subtitles UI and choice UI into a single scrolling textbox like this.

This style also retains the subtitles rather than discarding them after a few moments (unless you quit out of the conversation). I've recently linked INK to AC and that only uses a custom choice menu UI, while subtitles are still separate.

I was wondering if there is any ways to combine these two systems in AC?

Using latest AC and Unity 2020.

Thanks for any help.
Max

Comments

• You would need to involve custom scripting to populate your UI - however, AC does provide a custom event system that can help with this.

A tutorial on custom events can be found here. The example event it covers - OnStartSpeech - is also the one you'd want to make use of. This event is fired whenever a character speaks, and provides details of the line being spoken as parameters.

An example script that uses this event to create a "chat log" within a single Text component can be found on the AC wiki:
    https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Chat_log

That should handle the text display, and optional auto-scrolling. You can incorporate this into your Conversation menu, but don't link the Text component to any Label element. You'll also need to adjust your Conversation menu's Appear type to Manual so that it's always displayed. A little more scripting may be necessary to show the options at the right time, but see how you go with the above first.