Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC behavior. Escape in search of exit.

Hey guys. In my game there is an NPC that I want him to run away from, he is a thief, he will have to go up a few floors to reach the exit, but if the player finds him in front of me I want the NPC to deviate the path fleeing to the other side looking for another alternative way to reach the exit.

I did it with markers it worked to get to the exit and to scare the NPC I checked the ''NPC settings keep aut of player´s way?'' but when I find the NPC ahead he continues following the path towards the marker instead of run away to the other side.

Comments

• You'll likely need to rely on scripting to allow for such dynamic behaviour. Can you share visuals to illustrate the situation?

• My game is inspired by the classic Keystone Kapers from Atari. As you can see by looking at the map below, the white dot is the thief and he has to reach the end of the top, when the policeman enters the thief's route, the thief dodges, flees to another alternative path.

• I need to mention that this is not the kind of gameplay that AC is intended for.

You might have better luck, however, by separating the NPC's movement into two separate Character: Move to point Actions - one to move out of the Player's way with Wait until finish? checked, and the second to move to the exit.

The first Action would be dynamic, i.e. based on where the Player and Thief currently are. For example, if the Player is to the left of the Thief, have the Thief move to a staircase on the right.

This is only very rough and general, however. What does the actual layout of your game look like?