Forum rules - please read before posting.

Speech Manager: Create script sheet with Player "descriptive" name

Hello everyone! Hope you are doing well and having a nice end of the year :smile:

I'm playing with a few configurations on the Speech Manager with no luck so far, trying to get the Player names outputted when Creating script sheet.

Why do I need it? Because my game allows to Switch Players on same Scenes, so I'm currently getting two different characters (players) with the name "Player" in the Script Sheet.

This is how my Speech Audio configuration looks like:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cNfPI2axuwTEx_Cf46AOBXHRQr30eXAL/view?usp=sharing

When:

When I click on "Gather Text", and then on "Create script sheet"

Current Behavior

I get all Player names as "Character: Player".

Expected Behavior

I would like to see each Player name (for instance "Player_Ophelia_1980" and "Player_Meredith_1956", etc.).

Why is this a problem?

As said, I'm currently getting lines from two different playable characters listed as "Character: Player" so I can't figure, just by looking at the script sheet, which line should need voice acting from one person and which from another.

This is an example of how I'm getting the script sheet with 'Player' lines have separate audio for each Player option unchecked:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14OgqlJum7oH9m5JoEhBY8Wz4mdXdvvo1/view?usp=sharing

Link to the actual file in case you want to browse it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KTdCUh0qX2yPL-LOSrQf3vfAQ-oJ2N4D/view?usp=sharing

And if I uncheck 'Player' lines have separate audio for each Player option, I'm not getting the Player name either, and also I'm seeing a lot of audio files that have nothing to do with the player/speech line listed as well:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OpFyKCoAvnZoUm0qxG3V9ICGuFvEXHFG/view?usp=sharing

Link to the actual file (separate audio checked):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QH4IB94G1eFTYTA1HvQBCMpNZ9QSoDJr/view?usp=sharing

Is there something I'm missing on the configurations? :neutral: I also have the Players Prefab "Speaker Label" filled with something unique but didn't make any difference in the script sheet.

Any help you could provide will be much appreciated!! THANK YOU!! :smile:

BTW: I'm running latest AC with Unity 2021.3.11f1 (LTS) on a Mac (10.13.6 OS).

Comments

• And if I uncheck 'Player' lines have separate audio for each Player option, I'm not getting the Player name either, and also I'm seeing a lot of audio files that have nothing to do with the player/speech line listed as well

Do you mean "check"? The paragraph above this mentioned unchecking it as well.

The 'Player' lines have separate audio for each Player? option affects much more than how the script sheet displays - so it's important to set this to the correct value first.

When unchecked, a speech line marked as Player line? will be treated the same regardless of which Player is active at the time it's spoken. The same audio will be used.

The script sheet exports such lines as "Player" because it can't be any more specific than this.

If you want to have separate audio for such lines depending on which Player is speaking, you'll need to check the option.

When checked, such lines will be assumed to be speakable by any Player listed in the Settings Manager. That is, unless a specific Player is selected in the drop-down box in the Action.

In script sheets, AC will list audio files for all possible Players - because each Player can technically say that line, and will rely on a separate audio file when doing so.

It looks like the issue here is that AC should separate these lines in the sheet by Player - so that each character has their own entry, with their own name and separate file details. It's not technically a bug, but I do agree that this would be the more convenient behaviour - even it it's an option set in the export window.

I'll look into this and see if such functionality can be included in the next update - thanks for bringing it up.

• Thanks so much, Chris! Yes I surely got confused with check/unchecked.

To add some info on the use case, I have a scene which you can access with any of two player characters (when you switch players). Since they're two different persons, I will need two different actresses to play that line (and a way for AC to play the corresponding audio for each one).

On a second thread, did you see the unrelated audio files getting listed on the script sheet? That's something strange I imagine:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OpFyKCoAvnZoUm0qxG3V9ICGuFvEXHFG/view

• I can confirm that the next release will cause such lines to be listed as separate entries in script sheets.

On a second thread, did you see the unrelated audio files getting listed on the script sheet? That's something strange I imagine:

How many Players are assigned in your Settings Manager?

When a line is marked as a "Player" line, but no specific Player is assigned, the line can (technically) be spoken by all Players listed in the Settings Manager, so each will have their own associated audio file.

They can be ignored if you know for certain that only two of the Players will actually speak the line, but in cases like this it's typically better to filter by the intended character's name when exporting the text.

I've had a look and it does look like such "shared Player" lines are omitted when filtering by name, however. I will address this as well as part of the next release.

• Thanks so much, Chris!

So if I got it right, if I change all Dialogue -> Play speech actions from "Player line:✓ -> Player: Active Player" to setting the specific player, I won't get one line for each other players as well, right? That would be awesome :smile:

• That's correct - AC will then know which Player to limit the line to.