Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D TOP DOWN

I've been toying around with a 2D project, retro styled but seem to have one problem in 2D, navigation.
I was trying to get the player to move on a similar space/size and manner to

but it seems that:
the player can move around freely on the screen and even "fall off" the edges of the background sprite
placing 2d boxes to avoid that was a solution but Im not entirely sure with multiple scenes

Comments

• the player can move around freely on the screen

As in, move diagonally?

You can limit direct movement to the four main directions with the Movement limitation field in the Settings Manager.

even "fall off" the edges of the background sprite

To limit the Player's movement in 2D, you will need to use 2D Colliders to block their path. If you want to switch camera / change scene as they reach a particular side of the screen edge, use a Trigger instead.

• No, moving outside the borders but yeah, I'll use the 2D boxes then. Thanks.
    I was using a huge trigger zone parented to each like grid, on continuous camera change, right?

Thanks again!

• You should be able to get by with "On enter" rather than "Continuous", but yes - having a Trigger cover the scene should do it as well.

• ALTHOUGH, there is a bigger issue
    any contact the player makes sends the player sprite into a spinning motion, mostly if contact is made with another sprite on a corner. This is because the 2D aspect is meant for side perspective rather than top-down, right?

• Contact with what, exactly?

If you can share steps on how to recreate such an issue, I can take a look.

• Well, it's just taking two sprites, one NPC and one player on a 2D Direct control, top down game. Resize the collider for it to work with the sprite since that's usually needed and it won't work.

• I would need screenshots at the very least. What kind of components are attached to your Player?

• Out of the package, character editor, 2d player and npc, only change is a 2d box collider instead of circle or the circle has been made smaller.

• I cannot recreate your issue with these details. Please PM me a sample scene, Player prefab, and Manager assets that I can use to experience it.