Forum rules - please read before posting.

How to manage a 3 story Adventure ?

budbud
edited September 2022 in Technical Q&A

I have a game that has 3 separate stories, and wonder how to handle this.
The 3 stories are separate, kind of 3 different adventure games in a collection.
The 3 stories does not share any user data, inventory or variables.

Here is the setup:
Scene 0: Main menu, where you can choose which story to play.
Scene 1-9: Story 1 (Story spanning 9 scenes)
Scene 10: Story 2 (Story packed into 1 scene)
Scene 11-30 (Story spanning 20 scenes)
You can at any time exit each story and go back to the MainMenu.

I have 2 options, perhaps one is more easier to implement than the other!?!
A: You must finish one story before you can start another, and you cannot start or continue another story before the current story is finished.
B: (preferred method) You can switch between the 3 stories through the main menu, and start where you left off last time.

Comments

• Option B should be possible with the use of Player-switching.

Create a separate Player prefab for each story - e.g. PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC - and then assign them in the Settings Manager.

Then create a fourth Player prefab - one that needn't have any graphics - and assign this as the default Player. Then for the other Players, edit their default start data (see the tutorial linked above) so that they each start in the first scene of their story, i.e. PlayerA is in scene 1, PalyerB is in scene 10 etc.

Switching story is then a case of switching to its corresponding Player using the Player: Switch Action, which can be done either from a Menu Button's ActionList, or from an Inventory item interaction. Returning to the main menu would similary be a case of switching to the default Player.