Forum rules - please read before posting.

Override vertical movement factor for one character

I know there's a way to override the movement factor for a given scene, but is there a way to do it for one character in the scene? I generally use a 0.6 factor and it looks nice, but this is only true for characters who are walking - when you have a flying character (whose vertical movement doesn't imply moving closer to the background or foreground), the slower vertical speed looks strange.

Comments

• Not currently, and it sounds a bit too edge-case to add as an Inspector option.

It may be possible, however, to make it an option accessed via scripting - I'll give it some thought.

If the flying character isn't pathfinding, however, the effect could be "cheated" by instead raising their sprite child position rather than their root - but that too would involve scripting and would depend on the context.

• The flying character (a crow) isn't pathfinding, no. Depending on the situation, it either moves to point or follows a path. You will notice that I have a few white birds in the background as well, and those aren't even characters, just simple sprites whose transform is animated, but I do need the crow to be an actual character.

Also notice that the crow has a "take off" animation leading to the actual "flying" one, and the "take off" one relies on an animation event lowering the character's speed to 0.1 and then increasing it back to 18 (so that the crow will only start moving once it's played). Any solution manipulating the character speed needs to take the fact that it's already being manipulated into account.

I don't think raising the sprite position would work? I need the crow to land at very specific places all over the scene, so changing the sprite child position sounds complicated.

• The ability to control this per-character through script will be provided in the next update.

• Brilliant, thanks a lot!

• edited November 2022

Was this implemented in the latest update? I took a look at the patch notes (and also did a quick search in the scripting guide), but I haven't found it if it's there.

(Thanks a bunch for the other updates, btw! The ones I've tested are great)

• You can set it by accessing the character's AffectedByVerticalReduction property.