Forum rules - please read before posting.

Moving floors

This is an odd question and may not really be in the right place but I'm curious what solutions people have found to the problem.
One of my scenes is set on a boat. Boats move, if only a little. Unity doesn't like working with moving nav meshes on the best of days and I'm loathe to tinker too much with AC's nav system to make it work for one location. Is there an easy way of solving this issue or do I resort to plan B, have the camera move during that scene?

Comments

• Would this be for a 2D or a 3D scene?

If the boat doesn't move too much, you could try keeping the NavMesh stationary, and use a custom script to move a child of your character (which contains their graphics) with the moving boat, while leaving their root object alone. This'd probably be a case of using raycasting if it were a 3D scene.

Can you share screenshots to illustrate how the scene is set up?

• It's a 3D scene, though I admit I haven't built most of it yet. I always try and solve problems like this with block outs before I commit to making assets. I will throw something up when I'm working on it again though.
    The location only has 3 rooms that need the undulating motion, so I'm going to try and see what I can do with camera trickery before I try anything else I think though. Otherwise all the objects/triggers in the scene are going to have to be tethered to the root and I can foresee problems with that method. Not so much for when the boat simply moves up and down but when it rocks.
    I do appreciate you getting back to me though and I will no doubt pick your brain again. Though for now I'll try the simplest solution and see where that gets me.