Forum rules - please read before posting.

Inventory UI Tutorial

Ugh.
Can someone explain why it didn't work?
https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/creating-inventory-bar-unity-ui
I followed everything as it says but nope, the inventory is not showing up, nothing that I do can make it show up. New low...

Comments

• ugh.
    https://ibb.co/G7cSwkF

IT'S only showing up because I added it manually.

It's all mangled and won't appear on it's own, I did everything like you're supposed to.

If I move my screen it moves up and eventually leaves the screen.
    An UI tutorial, of all things, at this rate...

• It refuses to work on 4 levels, I didn't do anything not on the tutorial
    https://ibb.co/gFWdcVZ

• Don't add the prefab manually to the scene - in order for AC to be in control of it, you will need to let it be spawned in via the Menu Manager.

In the Hierarchy window at runtime, expand the "DontDestroyOnLoad" folder. That is where spawned UI prefabs will be listed in. If it's not appearing at all, check that you've assigned the prefab in the Menu's "Linked Canvas prefab" field.

If it is appearing, but is disabled (greyed out in the Hierarchy), then it's present but not being turned on.

When a Menu turns on is based on its "Appear type". In the tutorial, this is set to "Mouse Over", so that it turns on when the mouse pointer hovers over it.

AC refers to the "RectTransform boundary" field when working out if the mouse is over the menu - so it's important to make sure that this object (the "Panel", in the tutorial) spans the area of the menu. You may find it helps while debugging to attach an Image component with a sprite to the Panel object to make it clear where this boundary lies in-game.

If I move my screen it moves up and eventually leaves the screen.

Menus that are rendered with Unity UI will rely on Unity UI's anchoring system. How the elements react to changes in the screen size is determined by the anchor values in Unity's RectTransform components. I'll add a note about this in the tutorial, but anchoring the objects to the top-middle preset should keep it in place.

You can also refer to the Demo game's InventoryUI prefab, found in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Demo/UI.

If you still have issues, please share screenshots of the Menu Manager and your UI components so that I can see how things are exactly set up.

• I have revised the tutorial with notes about anchoring the Panel, as well as parenting the other objects to the Panel to avoid having to anchor them as well.

It may well be that the anchoring was causing both of your issues - give it a try now and let me know how it goes.

• No, nothing, nothing is working at all, the menu is still not showing up, it's greyed out and nowhere to be seen and when I manually add it, THAT'S the only way for it to even hint that it exists, it scales up and down, already anchored it, I give up, I'll go back to this later, it's refusing to make sense at all.

• Chris, yet another attempt that again, failed.
    I did everything on the Title Screen and have been working on this, redoing it and what not.
    Every action list is in order but it calls the Pause menu still, at least it does go away but that's literally the tutorial.
    https://ibb.co/YPZ3GPK

• edited August 2022

it's greyed out and nowhere to be seen

If it's greyed out in the Hierarchy, then it's being spawned correctly, and I suspect that the positioning/anchoring issue is related to it not showing.

To see how it's appearing, you can pause Unity and enable it manually to see what position it's taking.

You're welcome to PM me your PauseUI prefab and Menu Manager asset files - I will be able to see what's wrong. I can only speculate otherwise.

Every action list is in order but it calls the Pause menu still

To be clear: you're saying that the Pause menu is still being turned on when the "Exit SubMenu" ActionList is run?

The Actions look correct, are you in a scene named TitleScreen?

Again, you're welcome to PM me your files - project if necessary - for me to examine.

I apologise for your frustration, but please don't worry - these problems will be down to minor details and will be easy to resolve. I will, however, need to see the full picture to know what's going on.