Forum rules - please read before posting.

AC Compatibility with 3rd Person Starter Content and new input scheme

edited June 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hiya,

Do you think AC will become compatible out of the box with the new input system? Would be great to see it working with the free 3rd Person starter assets

I know it already works with adding in additional scripts but seeing it's the way forward it would be good to have it working out of the bo

Comments

• edited June 2022

Do you think AC will become compatible out of the box with the new input system?

If it becomes appropriate to. The new input system is still an add-on package that overrides the default, so having AC support it will still need to be a case of either coming in via a separate script that you import, or give compilation permission via Scripting Define Symbols to prevent errors in the event that the package isn't installed.

The best approach at this stage may be to provide the integration as an additional package on the Downloads page - I'll give this some thought.

Would be great to see it working with the free 3rd Person starter assets

Regardless of input method, the 3rd person starter asset, while great to prototype with, unfortunately isn't well-suited to integrations in my experience. The movement and input are all handled internally inside the same script, meaning it's not possible to override control over the character during cutscenes.

Using with AC would be a case of attaching AC's Player component, setting the "Motion control" field to "Manual", and then having the asset take control for the whole game.

You could concievably have a script that disables the asset, and switches AC back to Automatic motion control, during cutscenes, but it would probably be a bit janky. A properly integrated bridge script that uses the asset's own motion control is always going to give better results.

• Thank you Chris, as always prompt and precise :) One of the main reasons i like it is due to the starter pack character with all the animations and movements ready to operate. Having that prefab as a ready to go assets for AC would be amazing for quickly getting up and running.