Forum rules - please read before posting.

Using with 2dToolkit

edited April 2014 in Engine development
I have Unity Free and would like to use 2dToolkit for making Sprite Sheets in AC from my scene images. Any advice / steps to get me going.

Comments

• The documentation under 2d Animation (2d toolkit) says that support can be enabled under the character engine field in the settings manager. I did not find find this field in the settings tab or any of the other tabs. I also saw the 2d character tutorial video which showed an older version with this field available.

How do I set up 2d Toolkit to work with this latest version?

• funny, i was just about to post this Problem here too !! i followed the tutorials from Chris Burton at YouTube for the Adventure-Creator and the 2dToolkit for making Sprite Sheets - section did not work ..please do a tut (without a demo Scene) from scratch .. building a 2d ..Scene with character .. thanks !
  • edited April 2014

There is already a tutorial for building a 2dtoolkit character - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXR7L1LndeE#t=221 Despite all the AC changes it is still 90% valid.

It works just fine. Simple steps:

1. Import 2dtoolkit and enable it in player settings (write 2dTKIsPresent in scripting define settings)

2. Create a sprite sheet and drop your sprites into it. Remember to hit commit on your way out. Create animation sheets from your sprite sheets. Create animations in that sheet and call them whatever you want.

3. Create a character object as an empty game object and add all the necessary components to it (for player it'd be Player and Paths, for npc Npc I think and both also need a collider and a rigidbody). Create another object,a tk2d sprite with animator, as a child to your character object.

4. In your character object point to the animated sprite as the animation child.

5. In your sprite animated object select the appropriate spritesheet and animation sheet.

6. Set the animation engine on the character game object as 2dtoolkit. Set animation names, based on what you called your animations in step 2.

• hey, thanks for the quick answer .. sry to ask that but ... how do i Import 2dtoolkit ? i cannot find it anywhere (sry i am a total beginner with AC/unity)

• You need to buy it first https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/908

After the purchase you will be able to download and import it from the asset store window in Unity. If you don't want to buy 2d toolkit, try using the native 2d - AC is currently targeting it as its main 2d solution, so it makes sense. And of course it's free with the free version of Unity.
  • Thanks for the info domx.

I am trying to use the top down park demo with a 2d toolkit character. I followed your instructions and also went over the tutorials again. You are correct that it remains mostly the same but the choosing the engine is in the player script now and not in settings.

Anyway I am now getting an error. Also the character is just spinning around

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Rigidbody' attached to the "Mycharacter" game object, but a script is trying to access it.

I added a boxcollider2d and a rigidbody2d to the character and still get this error. I then made gravity 0 since the character fell into the distance and same error. I am using the 2d example game so don't think that I need should have to use a rigidbody on the character
  • My Bad.

I needed to add Box Collider and Ridgidbody for 3d not the 2d versions to the player