Forum rules - please read before posting.

Waiting X second to change object visibility?

So I'm making a tutorial. I made the text tutorial inside gameobjects (which are images) and use an action inside OnStart cutscene to make the first object appear. It has visibility off by default, so I use an action to change its visibility so the player can read it. My question is about this:

• How can I make the engine wait X seconds to show it (now it shows when the game starts). I tried Engine -> Wait, but that way the player can't move.

• How can I make the player skip the gameobject pressing a button?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• To prevent an ActionList from blocking gameplay, set its When running field to Run In Background. This will allow the player to move while it runs. If you want to block gameplay after the Engine: Wait Action, move the blocking Actions to a new Cutscene and assign it in the Engine: Wait Action's After running Cutscene field.

Active Inputs can be used to run ActionLists when input is pressed - see the Manual's "Active Inputs" chapter for details. An Active Input named e.g. "Skip tutorial" could be enabled at the time the tutorial image is shown, and made to run a Cutscene that hides it when triggered.

However, it may be easier to rely on AC's speech system for tutorial text - since this can be made to skip when input is pressed. If you created a "Tutorial" NPC in your scene and had tutorial text be speech spoken by them, you could instead move text display to a "Tutorial Subtitles" menu that is set up to only display speech spoken by this NPC.

• Hi, Chris!

I only see "After running" field but I dont see any "When running" field :/

https://imgur.com/a/leyPgVZ

• Seems I can't edit my reply but I just found it, thanks for all, Chris! Will check the Speech System method too!