Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trying to access to a GameObject within a Unity UI (Prefab) via their RuntimeCanvas

edited May 2022 in Technical Q&A

[Unity 2019.4.38f1 - AC v1.75.2]

Hi!

I'm trying to activate\deactivate specific GameObjects that are children of a Menu (Unity UI Prefab). The UI is structured as such:

Canvas
\_ Panel
\_\_ ElementIWantToAccess

Given that what follows is probably bad practice, and that I could probably just attach a script to the ElementIWantToAccess that passes its reference upon initialization, to access it I'm trying to do something like this:

PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName("Menu name").RuntimeCanvas.transform.Find("Panel/ElementIWantToAccess").gameObject

The problem being that the RuntimeCanvas is always null no matter when I try to access it.

I understand that using PrefabCanvas is not what I need to do (but please correct me if I'm wrong), so I went to look at how RuntimeCanvas is assigned in the Menu.cs script, specifically the LocateLocalCanvas() method, and I can see that, if menuSource is UnityUiPrefab, a localCanvas gets instantiated but no value is assigned to runtimeCanvas.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance, as always!

Comments

• Since RuntimeCanvas is what AC will affect when turning a Menu on and off, it should certainly be set if the UI prefab has been spawned in the scene.

runtimeCanvas is assigned at the bottom of the LocateLocalCanvas method:

if (menuSource == MenuSource.UnityUiInScene && localCanvas == null && runtimeCanvas)
    {
        // Special case: Loading a game in the same scene, but assigned canvas is disabled
    }
    else
    {
        runtimeCanvas = localCanvas;
    }

The exception to this is when using Addressables for your UI prefab - is this the case?

• Thanks for the answer!

I think I have misread that very if, thinking it was an else if to the if (menuSource == MenuSource.UnityUiPrefab) at the top of the method. My apologies!

So "cautious" of preparing all the elements before a menu actually displayed, it didn't occur to me that the RuntimeCanvas would only be initialized when the Menu turns on (and it makes absolute sense).

Thanks again!