Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cursor not Changing when Mousing over Hotspots

Hi Chris,

Had my game all ready to go, was trying to get my build size down for publishing to WebGL, and stupidly decided to delete the "Demo" folder in AC thinking I would just be losing some sample sprites and sound FX. Now I am having to rebuild all the menu elements from scratch I had in place months ago.

The main one that's giving me a headache is the Interaction menu. I cannot for the life of me get it to function as it did, namely, when you move the cursor over a hotspot, the cursor changes to the different "Use" icon selected in conjunction with said hotspot. I have my interaction method set to Choose Hotspot then Interaction. I remember this was how I had it, because I always had to check that "Single 'Use' Interaction" box for each hotspot. I have tried seemingly every combination of Appear type and Position for the Interaction menu and have had no luck. What am I missing here?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thought I was long past all this... lol

Comments

• What are your AC and Unity versions?

Deleting the Demo folder should normally be fine - the New Game Wizard should create your own Managers and assets that are independent of those used by the demo game.

Are you referring to UI prefabs? In (very) old versions of AC, these were still linked to the demo game - so deleting the Demo's UI folder may cause issues if you use Unity UI for your Menus.

I always had to check that "Single 'Use' Interaction" box for each hotspot

This checkbox is a way to emulate "Context Sensitive" mode on a per-Hotspot basis when using other modes. If you're checking it for every Hotspot, it'll be equivalent to switching to Context Sensitive mode.

What's the exact behaviour you're looking to achieve? Do you want players to be presented with a row of icons (from the Interaction menu) that they then click on to run specific Interactions, or is it more visual so that it's just to let them know what kind of Interaction clicking the Hotspot will result in?

The default Interaction menu's Appear type is set to On Interaction, and Position set to On Hotspot. What's the behaviour you're getting with it now?

The easiest way to bring back the game's default Menus (with Unity UI optionally included) is to use the New Game Wizard to create a new set of Managers, delete all except the new Menu Manager, then re-assign your original Managers save for the new Menu Manager.

• Hi Chris,

AC is v1.73.8
    Unity is Ver. 2020.3.16f1 Personal

Both older versions, I know. I have been afraid to upgrade until I get a build I can publish. Last time I upgraded it made the game unplayable and I had to recreate it entirely from scratch. I am so damn close, don't want to chance anything like this happening again.

Ok, exact behavior I'm looking to achieve is the second option you listed. I want the cursor to change into the single type of interaction clicking the Hotspot will result in when cursor is hovering over said Hotspot.

I now have the interaction menu's Appear type and Position set to the defaults you have listed here and still no change. Specifically, the cursor does not change when I hover over the Hotspots.

Is there anything I need to do with the Hotspot menu? I currently have those settings as Appear type: On Hotspot, and Position: Follow cursor.

I did use the New Game Wizard and got the framework to get my old menus back. I have been able to get everything back to the way it was save this one issue.

Thank you so much for your help! Let me know if you need screenshots or more detail in any particular area. Thx!

• edited April 2022

I want the cursor to change into the single type of interaction clicking the Hotspot will result in when cursor is hovering over said Hotspot.

The Interaction menu is separate to the cursor. For a single interaction mode, don't use Interaction menus and switch to Context Sensitive mode. This will result in the same behaviour used by the 3D Demo game.

If that doesn't give you the behaviour you're looking for, share some screenshots or mock-ups showing how you want things to work.

• Hey Chris,

Something weird just happened. I did change it to Context Sensitive mode and at first got no result. Then I suddenly had the intuition to try creating a completely new scene, add a new Hotspot and voila--I get my changing cursors back! Went back to original scene, delete the original Hotspot, replace with new one, and same thing. Everything appears to working as it should so long as I recreate the Hotspots. Do you think something could have happened to the relationship between my Hotspots and the cursor when I deleted whatever I deleted, but shouldn't have?! It's going to be a pain to recreate all of these, but it's at least, you know... a way through. Unless you can think of another way?

• You shouldn't have to resort to rebuilding everything. Compare a working Hotspot's Inspector to a non-working one - is there any obvious difference?

If not, enable Unity's Debug mode (see here) for the Hotspot components to compare their raw field values.

You're welcome to share screenshots of these if you'd like another set of eyes on them.

• Not that I can see. The Inspectors for both working and non-working Hotspots appear identical. I've already replaced most of them. Was simply a matter of dragging each new hotspot over the old one, deleting the non-working one and linking each interaction to the original ActionList. Still mighty puzzling though.

Couldn't figure out Debug mode (did I mention I'm a total freaking n00b?) Can't find the option in the context window. Should this be within the Hotspot's Inspector?

Also, perhaps I should make a separate post for this, but I just noticed the aspect ratio's messed up. E.g., there are no black bars at the top and bottom anymore. I've tried messing around with the resolution settings in the game tab to no avail. I remember seeing a "Force Aspect Ratio" option somewhere, but I can't remember where that is. Would this be somewhere in the vicinity of a solution?

• Debug mode can be found at the top-right of each component - see the bottom of the page linked in my last reply.

Aspect-ratio options are found in the "Camera settings" panel of the Settings Manager.

• Sometimes it just takes someone to explain it to me a certain way and then--BOOM. Thank you. Including some screenshots from before and after. There do seem to be differences, but yeah, it would definitely be helpful to have another set of eyes on them! :)

Original Hotspot [Non-Working]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IsDbEEilcaaSu3kqOGy0nBSbvj1nI0rv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Qe4kP2o-u37bmO6IrzgQW4DgcxIUAsh/view?usp=sharing

New Hotspot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f3ORwdvEJN4DeUHn9v8POgvxeli2_tX7/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qAzJuP7qCDXPxlZryCyNSb6O2QQ2_tdu/view?usp=sharing

I played around with the Camera settings a bit, but it seemed to just add black on the sides of the screen. It seems like there was a setting I had it on in the previous version that added black bars to the top and bottom, which was consistent throughout the game, but I can't find this now.

• The main difference I'm seeing isn't to do with the Hotspots - but the Colliders. Your new Hotspot uses a 2D collider component, while the old one uses a 3D one.

Your colliders need to match that of your game's camera perspective. Is yours a 2D game or a 3D one? The AC setting for this is the "Camera perspective" field in the Settings Manager's "Camera settings" panel.

• Hmmm, so that could be what's throwing it off? Maybe the Collider was changed when I deleted that folder? Mine is a 2D game. And the perspective has been set as 2D the entire time, as far as I know. Thanks for giving it a look under the hood.

Another thing I could use some pointers on is getting the file size down. Literally just need to shave off 20MB so I can publish on Unity Play. I've tried compressing almost all my images/animations, switching from WAV to MP3 for the sound files, trying different compression methods to no avail.

Can you tell me what assets I can safely delete in the folders that come with Adventure Creator?

Again thank you so much for your time in helping a lowly noob get up to speed. And for creating this kick ass software. No way in hell I would've gotten this far without it.

• I can't be sure about what's happened in your project, but Hotspot colliders shouldn't be changing like that.

About the camera borders: AC will render either letterboxing or pillarboxing borders based on the comparison between the desired aspect ratio (set in the Settings Manager), and the actual aspect ratio of the screen. In Edit mode, the latter is set to the top-left of the Game window.

I've mentioned earlier that deleting the demo folders should be fine - though be sure to always back up your project before deleting anything. There won't be anything else in the AC folder that deleting will have an impact.

The AC Manual has a "Performance and optimisation" chapter that covers AC-related tips for boosting performance. Other than that, it's a case of more general principles e.g. texture compression etc - info on these can be found in Unity's docs.

• Hey, thank you so much man. I'll fiddle around with the relationship between the desired aspect ratio and that which is set in the Game window. That helps in knowing where to focus my attentions.

Yes, I believe I have learned that lesson for the final time--"always back up before deleting anything"!

Re: Performance and Optimization--oooh kay cracking open the manual!

Cheers :)