Forum rules - please read before posting.

Contextual Camera Switching - Change view when character walks into frame

edited March 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hello,

I am working on a game that plays similarly to Grim Fandango. I am using direct movement to control my character with a keyboard and am using the Unity Standard Assets 3rd Person Controller as a skeleton, which makes my character movements a little more fluid than tank controls. For most of the camera shots in game, I plan to have semi-fixed shots (follows the player but generally shows one section of an area) that switch off as the player moves around the environment.

Example: one camera is facing the front of a house. When the player runs behind the house, a separate second camera assumes control to give the player a view of the backyard.

I looked through the AC Manual and site and couldn't find anything that explicitly shows how to do this, but it is likely I just missed it. I am open to the idea of just using a single 3rd person camera that follows the player, but I would like to try to figure out something a little more cinematic. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• The standard way of handling this is to rely on Triggers that run a Camera: Switch Action when the Player enters them.

See the 3D Demo's Basement scene for an example - the camera switches from NavCam1 to NavCam2 when the Player enters the Trigger at the back of the room.

The 2.5D tutorial also covers this topic here - though it deals specifically with 2.5D cameras and backgrounds, the principle is the same for all perspective types.

• @ChrisIceBox Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for