Forum rules - please read before posting.

Custom Unity UI canvas prefab

Hi,
I'm going a little nuts trying to figure out how the menu system can be customized. The tutorials and documentation have a "Linked Canvas" field that is hidden when I choose Unity UI Prefab from the dropdown. It's visible when "In Scene" is selected. How do I add a new prefab to be used for a menu? The docs seem to indicate that assigning that field is the only way for a prefab in the project to be used but it's hidden. I assume the default UI was created with the constant ids that make it work out of the box.
Thanks

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Lonster.

You're correct that the default UI should work out of the box - each of the Menus should have their own associated UI prefab, enabled when their Source is set to "Unity Ui Prefab".

To go into semantics a little: the "Linked Canvas" should show when Source is set to "Unity Ui In Scene", while "Linked Canvas prefab" should show instead when set to "Unity Ui Prefab". Are you saying that the latter is not showing at the bottom of your Menu's properties?

Or is this more to do with the assigning of child objects in the UI prefab to individual Menu Elements? This can be done either by double-clicking the prefab to open it up in Unity's "Prefab Mode", from where you can drag the objects into the Menu Manager - or by placing it in the scene and applying changes afterwards.

The creation of UI Menus are covered by both text and video tutorials, so if you haven't seen it already - here's the one in text form.

If things aren't showing up in the way they should be, or its not clear what to assign where, share some screenshots as well as your AC and Unity version numbers and we can try to see where the issue lies.

• Thank you for replying so quickly. Not long after I posted this I found my mistake. At some point while I was poking around I enabled "Use Addressables for UI Prefab reference?" by mistake and it hides the "Linked Canvas" field. Once it was disabled, I was able to replace the linked canvas.