Forum rules - please read before posting.

Making unity ui with playmaker?

edited January 2022 in Technical Q&A
Hey guys! I have a little question about integrating ac with playmaker.. is it possible to create an Unity UI with playmaker without getting in conflict with ac?
It seems to me that when you create an ui with pm its still an Unity UI, since pm is just another way to code unity, right? I'm only asking this because ac's manual recommend turning off pm's gui to avoid mouse cursor conflicts between the 2 assets..

Comments

• edited January 2022

Welcome to the community, @IvanArbusto.

is it possible to create an Unity UI with playmaker without getting in conflict with ac?

AC will only take control over a UI if you link it via AC's Menu Manager. Otherwise, you're free to use other UIs from elsewhere.

The only thing to really be aware of is that AC may still register clicks "underneath" such UIs, so that clicks over e.g. Hotspots or NavMeshes will still be felt even if you were also clicking on a UI.

To get around this, you can either check Unity UI blocks interaction and movement? in the Settings Manager to always have UI clicks prevent AC interactions, or use the Engine: Manage systems Action to selectively disable AC's movement/interaction systems when you want the player to only be able to click on a UI.

I'm only asking this because ac's manual recommend turning off pm's gui to avoid mouse cursor conflicts between the 2 assets..

This only refers to the mouse cursor itself, via Playmaker's Control Mouse Cursor option. It's not related to a Unity UI canvas, so non-AC UIs should still be clickable with this option unchecked.

• Thank you Chris!! And congrats, AC is an amazing feature! For a long time I wanted to make a game, but never thought it was possible and AC is making it come true!
  • Hey guys! Sorry to bother again with another noob question. What is still not clear to me is.. if I choose to make an Unity UI.. do I have to programm all the logic behind it or can I rely on AC's UI logic and use the canvas just for the looks of it?
  • You can rely on AC's UI logic. For example, if you add a button to your Unity UI, you can then link the button to an AC menu element, which can override its text label, on-click functionality, etc.

• Oh that's so good to hear!! Thank you very much @Rairun
  • If you'd like to learn more about Unity UI in a general sense and how it can be connected with Adventure Creator, take a look at the "Adventure Creator: Creating a 2.5D game Tutorial" at 1:29:35.

• A text tutorial on this topic can also be found here, but I recommend going through the Manual's "Unity UI menus" as well.

• Thanks @ChrisIceBox I'm gonna check all that material